Arthur Brown is co-head of Kaye Scholer’s nationally recognized Product Liability Group, member of the Management Committee and a member of the firm’s Complex Commercial Litigation Department. Arthur’s practice is broad, and he has experience representing and advising clients on mass tort and product liability issues, investigations by federal and state authorities, inquiries from Congress and commercial litigation disputes.
A leader in the product liability arena, Arthur serves as national counsel and national coordinating counsel representing pharmaceutical companies, including Bayer, Pfizer, Novartis and AstraZeneca, in mass tort product liability actions. In these roles, Arthur plays a key role directing and implementing overall litigation and trial strategy, working with high-level executives to prepare them for testimony, as well as developing the overall medical and science defense. In addition, Arthur advises clients on strategic litigation and settlement decisions in the areas of commercial litigation and white collar investigations, and counsels clients on litigation avoidance.
Arthur is also an experienced commercial litigator who regularly represents and advises clients in complex securities and fraud cases, government investigations and significant arbitrations.
Representative Product Liability Matters
- National counsel in Bayer’s litigation involving Cipro and Avelox, two flourquinolone antibiotics used to treat a variety of serious bacterial infections (2015 – present).
- National coordinating counsel for all of Pfizer’s asbestos litigation (2013 – present).
- National counsel to Novartis in respect of the Tekturna/Valturna product liability litigation, in which there are claims that these Novartis blood pressure medications cause kidney damage (2013 – present).
- National counsel for Bayer Corporation and Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, Inc., defending their oral anticoagulant prescription medication, Xarelto® in product liability litigation, including an MDL (2015 – present).
- Served as co-lead national coordinating counsel for AstraZeneca in thousands of product liability lawsuits alleging that its atypical antipsychotic drug, Seroquel, causes diabetes and related injuries. Arthur was also regional counsel defending AstraZeneca against product liability cases alleging that its anesthetic, administered via a shoulder pain pump, caused chondrolysis (2007 – 2012).
- Served as one of the key members of Kaye Scholer’s national counsel team on behalf of Novartis Consumer Health and its defense of claims alleging that its cough cold medication, PPA, cause stroke and related injuries (2004 – 2012).
- Part of national trial counsel team to Pfizer for Rezulin, a medicine alleged to have caused liver and cardiac injuries (2004 – 2007).
- Representative Commercial Litigation & Government Investigations Matters
- Lead Counsel for Sandoz, Inc. in an action brought by venture capitalists alleging securities and common law causes of action (2012 – present).
- Lead counsel for the Patrolmens Benevolent Association in their ongoing labor arbitration against the City of New York (2014 – present).
- Serves as key member of the team defending former members of AIG’s senior management in a complex fraud action brought by the New York Attorney General’s office under the Martin Act (2012 – present).
- Advised AstraZeneca in a breach of contract claim brought by Verus Pharmaceuticals stemming from an alleged breach of a Collaboration Agreement to develop a pediatric asthma treatment. The case was dismissed on pretrial motion and the dismissal was upheld on appeal (2007 – 2012).
- Assisted and defended pharmaceutical companies in government and Congressional investigations related to marketed medicines (2002 – present).
Arthur spearheads a product liability team that is lauded by Chambers USA 2016 as being “very strategic in their approach to matters.” Arthur’s impressive work has repeatedly garnered recognition by Chambers USA as a Leading Lawyer in Product Liability & Mass Torts. Arthur is described by clients as “‘smart, strategic, easy to work with and responsive’” (2014). Arthur has also been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America 2016 and 2017 for Product Liability Litigation, by Litigation and Product Liability Lawyers (2016) Expert Guide by Legal Media Group and was recommended by The Legal 500 United States in 2013, 2014, and 2016 for his work in Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense – Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices. In 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Arthur was named a “Life Science Star” in Euromoney’s LMG Life Sciences Guide.
From 1994 to 1997, Arthur served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s office, where he prosecuted a wide range of cases involving street crime, conspiracy, fraud and embezzlement.
In The Market
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Auszeichnungen
- Ten Kaye Scholer Practices Recognized, 29 Individuals Cited in Legal 500 US 2016 June 15, 2016 • Auszeichnungen
- Kaye Scholer Practices and Attorneys Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 May 31, 2016 • Auszeichnungen