Steven Canner is a Partner in the Corporate Department. He focuses his practice on:
- mergers and acquisitions, including change of control transactions involving public and private companies, and transactions involving domestic and international participants;
- private equity transactions, including representing funds in connection with acquisitions and divestitures, management teams, and portfolio companies;
- securities laws matters, including private and public offerings of debt and equity securities in the United States and internationally, compliance with SEC reporting obligations, and tender offers for debt and equity securities (cross-border and domestic);
- corporate restructurings, both within and outside of bankruptcy proceedings, including representing debtors, creditors and other stakeholders in the reorganization process, representing sellers and purchasers of distressed assets, and representing lead investors in recapitalizations of, and change of control transactions involving, financially distressed companies; and
- joint ventures and strategic alliances, both domestic and international in scope.
Steven also acts as outside general counsel to a number of international operating companies, assisting them in addressing their day to day legal concerns, as well as for hedge funds, helping with their formation and transactional matters.
Recently, Steven has focused on several corporate matters that are international in scope, including an acquisition by a private equity fund of a business with operations in over 40 countries, an international joint venture spanning over 20 countries, a cross-border offering of equity securities, a "dutch-auction" debt tender offer by a foreign private issuer, and a significant investment by a US-based hedge fund in a publicly-traded Australian company.
He has spoken at seminars on diverse topics, including fiduciary duties of directors, acquisitions of public companies, securities laws issues in bankruptcy proceedings and SEC reporting obligations of hedge funds.
Steven also leads the lateral associate recruiting efforts for the Corporate Department.
- Kaye Scholer Advises Baltic Trading on Merger with Genco July 24, 2015
- Corporate Alert: “Hobson’s Choice” in Debt Restructuring Violates TIA Section 316(b) July 8, 2015
- Kaye Scholer Helps Gravity Midstream Acquire Crude Oil Terminal June 16, 2015