Jeffrey Chester is a Partner in the Los Angeles office and heads the firm’s Renewable Energy Project Finance and Development practice, focusing on wind and solar energy development, construction, tax structuring and project finance. In renewable energy transactions, Jeff regularly represents developers, sponsors, lenders and investors.MEHR
Jeff has been centrally involved in the development of the equity, debt and capital markets for renewable energy projects, having closed more than 70 wind and solar power projects throughout the United States.
Recent Representative Matters
- A Canadian pension fund in its $500 million investment in a 1,500 MW wind farm portfolio owned by North America’s largest independent wind power generation company.
- An independent developer, owner and operator of wind farms in the Midwest in construction and term loan financings for a 136 MW wind portfolio and tax equity financing for a 50 MW wind power project.
- An international developer of renewable energy projects on a construction and term loan financing for a 30 MW wind project located in southwestern Minnesota, and subsequently in its sale of the wind farm to one of the world’s largest private equity funds and simultaneous tax equity financing.
- A national developer of utility-scale wind energy facilities both onshore and offshore, in the sale of 99 percent of its stake in a 298 MW wind power project to a NYSE-listed power generation and infrastructure company.
- One of the leading U.S. banks as a tax equity investor in approximately 700 MWs of wind power projects.
- The U.S. subsidiary of a leading European utility in the acquisition of a 4,000 MW development pipeline and management team.
- A major international Korean company in the development and financing of PV Projects in the U.S. totaling 130 MWs.
- A developer in the negotiation of a 1,550 MW PPA with a California utility — the largest wind PPA ever signed.
- A leading German developer in the development, construction, financing and sale of multiple projects.
- An Australian infrastructure fund in the sale of a 3,100 MW project in development to a private equity fund.
- A developer in the negotiation and structuring of a large equity commitment from a top-tier Wall Street investment banking house.
- A private equity fund in the acquisition, tax structuring and financing of a project in California.
- An Australian infrastructure fund in the acquisition, development, tax structuring and financing of multiple projects.
- A developer in the sale of a portfolio of development projects to a Spanish company.
- A major utility in the acquisition of a wind project in development.
- A wind development company with an announced pipeline of over 800 MW in its sale to one of the leading wind energy developers in the United States.
- The lenders for construction financing of a 120 MW project in Texas.
- The developers as lead counsel in the Altamont Avian cases.
Jeff also represents issuers, underwriters, lenders and investors in a wide variety of transactions, including private equity capital financings, initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, commercial paper, medium-term notes, eurobond offerings, structured finance and credit enhancements, leveraged buyouts, international and strategic joint ventures and other complex financial transactions.
Since 2008, Jeff has been recognized in Chambers USA as “a celebrated expert in renewables M&A” and “regarded as one of the top deal makers in California” who is “deal-oriented and a great problem solver.”
Jeff has also been recognized in LMG Clean Technology & Renewable Energy 2013 on “The CleanTech 100,” a list of the top 100 practitioners of clean technology law across the finance and transactional, regulatory, intellectual property practice areas, and who colleagues refer to as “one of the best and most complete transactional attorneys out there.”