Phillip A. Geraci practices in Kaye Scholer’s Complex Commercial Litigation Department with an emphasis on securities, derivatives and commodities litigation, including defense of securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative actions, representation of corporate clients in SEC investigations, takeover and proxy contest litigation, defense of commodities manipulation and fraud actions and litigations involving limited partnerships and their sponsors. He has tried cases involving securities, commodities, foreign exchange futures and options, derivatives, contracts and trademarks.
Among Phil’s many litigations for the firm are the defense of:
- Celestica Inc. and its former CEO and CFO in consolidated securities class action litigation;
- JA Apparel in its contract and trademark litigation against designer Joseph Abboud, including a trial victory;
- AstraZeneca in a $1.28 billion litigation brought by a specialty pharmaceutical company — Kaye Scholer’s motion was granted and the case was dismissed;
- Spirit AeroSystems in consolidated securities class action litigation, a SEC enforcement investigation and derivative litigation;
- Merger litigation in Delaware, Colorado and Kentucky for Skilled Healthcare Group, Envision Healthcare, TMS International, Brookfield Homes Corp. and ResCare, Inc.
- Three large financial services companies in fraudulent conveyance litigation in the Mervyn’s bankruptcy proceeding;
- Hershey in trademark litigation;
- The Special Committees of the boards of WCI Steel and Harrah’s Entertainment in litigations in Delaware, Nevada and New York;
- Canadian private equity company Onex Corporation in merger and tender offer litigation;
- All litigation matters of the Receiver of the Wood River hedge funds, which were shut down by the SEC in the face of claims of substantial mismanagement and misrepresentation, in which matter he worked closely with lawyers from the SEC’s Division of Enforcement;
- The CEO and a director in the Suprema Specialties securities class action litigation, where all claims against our clients were originally dismissed in the face of guilty pleas by participants in the alleged fictitious booking of $700 million in revenue by the company;
- China National Metals Import & Export Corp. and one of its subsidiaries through trial in derivatives and foreign exchange litigation with a major international investment bank;
- The former CEO of Reliance Insurance Co. in litigation arising out of the collapse of that insurer;
- One of the principal defendants in the landmark Apex v. DiMauro commodities manipulation case;
- A corporate client in an SEC insider trading investigation;
- A broker-dealer in multiple SEC, NASD, and FINRA investigations;
- Technology company PubliCARD in securities fraud litigation in California state court;
- Traffix Inc. and its senior executives in consolidated securities class action litigation;
- The Hunt brothers in litigations involving alleged manipulation of the silver market, including a six-month jury trial;
- German conglomerate Metallgesellschaft and its subsidiaries in numerous shareholder derivative and securities class actions;
- Computer manufacturer Commodore International Limited in a series of securities class actions;
- American Financial Corporation in shareholder derivative litigation;
- Private equity sponsor J.W. Childs Associates in multiple matters for it and its portfolio companies; and
- Real estate partnership sponsors Integrated Resources and Robert McNeil in takeover, proxy contest, and securities fraud and class action litigations
Phil has represented numerous public companies and shareholder groups in tender offers, proxy contests and other contests for corporate control, and has frequently counseled clients on shareholder demands, potential shareholder derivative litigations and matters relating to the disclosure obligations of the federal securities laws.
Phil has written on the subjects of securities class actions, damages and hedge fund litigation, and has appeared on numerous panels and lectured on those and related topics.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Obtains Motion to Dismiss for Longtime Client Spirit AeroSystems May 26, 2015 • Pressemitteilungen
- Kaye Scholer Secures Agreement to Settle Celestica Securities Suit April 23, 2015 • Pressemitteilungen
- Onex Acquires USI for $2.3 Billion November 26, 2012 • Pressemitteilungen