Phillip A. Geraci practices in Kaye Scholer’s Complex Commercial Litigation Department with an emphasis on securities, derivatives, and commodities litigation, including defense of securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative actions, representation of corporate clients in SEC investigations, takeover and proxy contest litigation, defense of commodities manipulation and fraud actions, and litigations involving limited partnerships and their sponsors. He has tried cases involving securities, commodities, foreign exchange futures and options, derivatives, contracts, and trademarks.MEHR
Among Mr. Geraci’s many litigations for the firm are the defense of:
Celestica Inc. and its former CEO and CFO in consolidated securities class action litigation;
- AstraZeneca in a $1.28 billion litigation brought by a specialty pharmaceutical company — Kaye Scholer’s motion was granted and the case was dismissed;
- Three large financial services companies in fraudulent conveyance litigation in the Mervyn’s bankruptcy proceeding;
- The Special Committees of the boards of WCI Steel and Harrah’s Entertainment in litigations in Delaware, Nevada, and New York;
- Canadian private equity company Onex Corporation in merger and tender offer litigation;
- All litigation matters of the Receiver of the Wood River hedge funds, which were shut down by the SEC in the face of claims of substantial mismanagement and misrepresentation, in which matter he worked closely with lawyers from the SEC’s Division of Enforcement;
- The CEO and a director in the Suprema Specialties securities class action litigation, where all claims against our clients were originally dismissed in the face of guilty pleas by participants in the alleged fictitious booking of $700 million in revenue by the company;
- China National Metals Import & Export Corp. and one of its subsidiaries through trial in derivatives and foreign exchange litigation with a major international investment bank;
- JA Apparel in its contract and trademark litigation against designer Joseph Abboud, including a trial victory;
- The former CEO of Reliance Insurance Co. in litigation arising out of the collapse of that insurer; representation of one of the principal defendants in the landmark Apex v. DiMauro commodities manipulation case;
- A corporate client in an SEC insider trading investigation;
- A broker-dealer in multiple SEC, NASD, and FINRA investigations;
- Technology company PubliCARD in securities fraud litigation in California state court;
- Traffix Inc. and its senior executives in consolidated securities class action litigation;
- The Hunt brothers in litigations involving alleged manipulation of the silver market, including a six-month jury trial;
- German conglomerate Metallgesellschaft and its subsidiaries in numerous shareholder derivative and securities class actions;
- Computer manufacturer Commodore International Limited in a series of securities class actions;
- American Financial Corporation in shareholder derivative litigation;
- Private equity sponsor J.W. Childs Associates in multiple matters for it and its portfolio companies; and
- Real estate partnership sponsors Integrated Resources and Robert McNeil in takeover, proxy contest, and securities fraud and class action litigations.
Mr. Geraci has represented numerous public companies and shareholder groups in tender offers, proxy contests and other contests for corporate control, and has frequently counseled clients on shareholder demands, potential shareholder derivative litigations, and matters relating to the disclosure obligations of the federal securities laws.
Mr. Geraci has written on the subjects of securities class actions, damages and hedge fund litigation, and has appeared on numerous panels and lectured on those and related topics.