Joan Goddard has more than 25 years experience in the management of complex and mass tort litigations, including pharmaceutical, medical device and asbestos litigations. Ms Goddard’s primary expertise is counseling clients as to the coordination and management of counsel in large litigations, developing best practices and implementing cost containment measures.
- Currently in connection with Pfizer’s HT (Hormone Therapy) litigation, Ms. Goddard is a member of the national coordination team. Ms. Goddard recently coordinated the integration of the two preexisting separate counsel networks into a single coordinated counsel practice after the company’s acquisition of a co-defendant. Ms. Goddard implemented the integration of counsel protocols, procedures, case management systems, billing practices and vendor networks. Prior to the acquisition, Ms. Goddard was involved with the national coordination of the litigation, including national budget management and management of counsel handling active cases in various jurisdictions.
- Currently in connection with the Chinese Drywall litigation, Ms. Goddard provides advice of settlement administration and processing issues, including best practices and recommendations for cost savings. Additionally, in connection with several clients, including Pfizer and Boston Scientific, Ms. Goddard is involved with the development and management of alternative fee arrangements, including all inclusive flat fees and unit pricing. She also has advised clients on the development and implementation of preferred provider relationships with vendors.
- Recently in connection with the Rezulin litigation, Ms. Goddard, as part of the Kaye Scholer national counsel team, participated in the national management of the litigation, particularly in terms of budget containment. Ms. Goddard also participated in the management of counsel handling active cases in various jurisdictions and oversight of settlement administration of thousands of cases. Ms. Goddard also was involved with the development and implementation of a cost efficient settlement administration program in the Depo Provera litigation.
Previously, Ms. Goddard was coordinating counsel in complex litigation matters (asbestos, breast implant and diet drugs) including the following:
- Litigation Management: Manage and direct network of regional and local counsel. Manage national litigation budgets. Manage case processing center staffed with attorneys and legal assistants utilizing state of the art electronic database system in case preparation, discovery and settlement processing.
- Strategic Planning and Implementation: Consultation with clients to develop and implement national litigation strategies affecting tens of thousands of active cases. Participate in national settlement programs to resolve massive litigation. Negotiation and settlement of large inventories of claims. Direct the evaluation, processing and payment of more than 100,000 settled claims. Serve as liaison for the alternative resolution (ADR) of critical claims.
- Trials, Trial Preparation & Case Management: Trial team member for several large consolidated trials. Prepare cases for trial. Conduct expert, plaintiff and witness depositions. Experience preparing company witnesses for depositions. Develop expert witnesses. Prepare all forms of written discovery and supervise paraprofessionals in responding to massive discovery requests.
- Insurance Coverage Advice and Experience: Analyze, draft, negotiate and advise client regarding dispute and resolution of coverage related issues. Assist with management of large team of lawyers and paraprofessionals in lawsuit to obtain coverage for environmental remediation costs.