Christopher Griner is the Co-Chair of the firm’s National Security, Government Contracts and Regulatory Compliance Department and the National Security/CFIUS Practice Group. He is a recognized leader in the field of national security and played a key role in the development of the Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence (“FOCI”) mitigation arrangements used by the federal government today. He has been named a leading lawyer by both Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, for his “depth of experience and great range of knowledge” with a “niche expertise in Defense Security Service matters.” Chambers USA 2012 names Mr. Griner as a “CFIUS expert” and quotes his clients as saying he is “the guru in this area of law.” Mr. Griner is often quoted in prominent publications including, American Law Daily, The Daily Deal, and The Financial Times.MEHR
Mr. Griner counsels and represents foreign and domestic clients regarding international transactions involving national security and other national security approval issues. He has significant experience representing clients before the intelligence community and the departments of Defense, Energy, and State in relation to industrial security and export compliance regulations, and in Exon-Florio reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS”). Mr. Griner counsels clients on proposed acquisitions, and mitigation arrangements for foreign-owned defense and national security contractors. He has represented numerous foreign and domestic companies in corporate reorganizations, acquisitions and joint ventures that impact national security, or that otherwise involve sensitive technologies or classified activities.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer, Mr. Griner served as attorney advisor, Office of the General Counsel, Department of Defense.
Exon-Florio reviews before CFIUS on hundreds of transactions ranging in value from less than $1 million to $38 billion.
- FOCI mitigation arrangements in compliance with national industrial security regulations.
- Export control compliance matters before the Department of State and the Department of Commerce.
- Representation of principal Italian industrial group operating globally in aerospace, defense and security sectors; advice and counsel concerning U.S. national security regulatory approvals for acquisitions.
- Representation of the world’s largest supplier of commercial airplane assemblies and components; advice and counsel on national security issues related to $1.65 billion initial public offering and subsequent transactions.
- Representation of major British defense company in numerous acquisitions of U.S. national security contractors, including a $1.8 billion acquisition.
- Representation of one of the world’s leading aerospace and defense electronics companies; advice and counsel in national security issues related to strategic Foreign Direct Investment (“FDI”) acquisitions in the United States.
- Representation of major Italian industrial group in the $5.2 billion acquisition of a major U.S. defense contractor.
- Representation of Ultra Electronics plc in its acquisition of Criticom Inc.