Stephen Koval, co-chair of the firm’s Corporate Department, concentrates his practice on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions and private equity structures, including public and private mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, carveouts, recapitalizations and workouts. He has substantial experience in public offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities, representing financial institutions and US issuers of all sizes in the United States, and both US and international entities in cross-border offerings. He is also experienced in the restructuring of the debt of financially distressed public and private companies.
Steve is an experienced corporate counselor, advising boards of directors and their committees on a broad range of issues, including governance and executive compensation.
His practice is particularly focused on several industries in which he has substantial experience, including retail, consumer goods and luxury brands, transactional health care, industrials and services.
Steve is recommended for middle-market M&A and private equity buyouts in The Legal 500 US 2016. He has also been recognized as a leading practitioner in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and has served on the firm’s Executive Committee.
- Sidney Frank Importing Co., Inc. in its multi‑billion dollar sale of its Grey Goose vodka brand to Bacardi Limited.
- Chef America, a major frozen food company, in a Goldman Sachs-led auction sale of the company to Nestlé for US$2.6 billion.
- U.S. Home Corporation, one of the largest homebuilding companies in the United States, in its public sale, in a multi-billion dollar stock-for-stock merger, to Lennar Corporation.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners and J.P. Morgan Partners in the acquisitions and associated financings of Pinnacle Foods and Aurora Foods in separate acquisitions, one through the going-private bankruptcy of Aurora Foods, and the combination of those businesses, in transactions aggregating several billion dollars.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity in the acquisition of Advantage Sales & Marketing Inc. (ASM) for approximately $1.05 billion, and its subsequent sale to Apax Partners for US$1.8 billion.
- Veracen LP, a private investment firm, in its merger-of-equals with Turner Investments.
- NexPhase Capital in its acquisition of Zing Zang LLC, a leading independent marketer of non-alcoholic cocktail mixes.
- Uni-World Capital in its sale of CAPS Payroll, a leading payroll provider in multiple entertainment markets, to Cast & Crew Entertainment Services.
- Medpak LLC in the sale of its Elastic Skin Liquid Bandage assets to Prevent-Plus LLC, a subsidiary of medical device sales and distribution company Surgioscopy LLC.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in an investment in Comoto Holdings Inc., a holding company housing its portfolio company Cycle Gear Inc. and Revzilla Motorsports LLC, two of the nation’s leading retailers of apparel, accessories and parts for motorcycle enthusiasts.
- Halifax Capital Partners in the sale of Caring Brands International, a leading worldwide franchisor of home healthcare services, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
- The Cooper Spirits Company, maker of the world’s first artisanal elderflower liqueur St-Germain, in the acquisition of the St-Germain brand by Bacardi, the world’s largest privately held spirits company.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in the acquisition of Cycle Gear Inc., a leading provider of motorcycle apparel, parts and accessories.
- Uni-World Capital in its acquisition of Drake Manufacturing Services Co., a leading manufacturer of precision CNC machine tools.
- Questex, a leading global business information and events company, in its sale to Shamrock Capital Advisors.
- Hostway in its sale to Littlejohn & Co, LLC, a CT-based private investment firm.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in the sale of JA Holding, Inc., the parent company of the American clothing brand Joseph Abboud, to Men’s Wearhouse for approximately US$97.5 million in cash.
- Uni-World Capital as co-equity sponsor in the acquisition, together with co-equity sponsor Brightwood Capital, of VanDeMark Chemical Inc., a leading global producer of specialty, intermediate, and catalyst chemicals based on phosgenation chemistry.
- VanDeMark Chemical, a portfolio company of Uni-World Capital, in its acquisition, together with institutional co-investors, of Framochem Kft from ISOCHEM S.A.S.
- PhotoMedex, Inc., a Global Skin Health Solutions™ company, in its public merger with Radiancy, Inc.
- Moelis Capital Partners in a growth investment in Dr. Fresh Inc. and an add-on acquisition of the Reach brand toothbrush assets of Johnson & Johnson.
- Red Diamond Capital in the sale of its portfolio company Interflex Holdings to Nicolet Capital Partners.
- Essie Cosmetics, one of the largest independent nail polish companies in the beauty industry, in connection with its acquisition by L'Oréal USA.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in the US$350 million acquisition and associated financing of Hartz Mountain Corporation, the leading manufacturer and distributor of pet supplies and its subsequent $388 million sale of Hartz to Sumitomo Corporation of America.
- Teka Capital, a private equity firm dedicated to investments in Latin America, in the first close of its debut fund, with US$104 million in total capital commitments.
- International investor group in structuring and financing bids for banks being privatized by the Peruvian government in separate transactions, including a Regulation S/Rule 144A offering of exchangeable notes to finance a portion of one bid.
- Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas, as administrative agent, and a group of lenders led by Eaton Vance, Credit Suisse, Invesco and Oppenheimer Funds in the debt-for-equity out-of-court restructuring of IAP Worldwide, the first of its kind for a defense contractor.
- NexBank, SSB, as agent to the senior secured lenders to radio station operator AR Broadcasting, LLC, in the corporate aspects of AR Broadcasting’s debt-for-equity restructuring.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Pressemitteilungen
- Kaye Scholer Represents NexPhase Capital in Acquisition of Zing Zang July 7, 2016 • Pressemitteilungen
- Kaye Scholer Advises CAPS Payroll in Sale to Cast & Crew Entertainment Services June 21, 2016 • Pressemitteilungen