Andres Liivak is the Co-Chair of Kaye Scholer’s Life Sciences Industry Group and a Partner in the firm’s Corporate Department. Working together with the firm’s highly regarded, collaborative, multidisciplinary life sciences team, Andres helps life sciences healthcare industry clients develop comprehensive solutions and manage risk to achieve their business objectives. In his practice, Andres focuses on putting in place complex licensing and collaborations arrangements, mergers and acquisitions and private equity deals and settlements of intellectual property, commercial and other deal-related disputes of strategic importance.MEHR
Andres has wide-ranging experience bringing together partners and investors in the life sciences industry to build productive discovery, development, manufacturing, marketing and commercialization relationships while managing critical risks during long term collaborations. Andres has led numerous M&A deals and played key roles in spin-out and reorganization transactions involving the purchase, sale and transfer of complex life sciences assets, technologies and products, including out of bankruptcy as well as relating to government contracts. Andres has been trusted by clients to help them grapple with strategic litigation problems and to put in place significant business arrangements settling deal-related commercial litigation and complex, bet-the-company intellectual property disputes.
Andres' prior representations have involved vaccines, biologics, imaging technologies, pharmaceutical compounds, medical devices, biomarkers, diagnostics, immunotherapies, delivery technology platforms, genetically modified seeds, healthcare consumer products, wound care, orthopaedics, implants, patient healthcare services and R&D and clinical services. To each matter Andres brings to bear an in-depth understanding of and sensitivity to the many varied business, technical, intellectual property, compliance and regulatory risks and challenges central to successful deal making and business operations in the life sciences healthcare industry.
Andres is recommended by PLC Which Lawyer as being among the leading lawyers throughout the US for Life Sciences: Commercial and Partnering, and in 2007, was named to the “40 Under 40” by the New Jersey Law Journal. He is recognized by Legal 500 US in the “healthcare and life sciences” category and as a “Life Science Star” in Euromoney’s LMG Life Sciences Guide.
Andres has also been recognized in Who’s Who Legal’s The International Who’s Who of Life Sciences 2014.
Collaborations and Strategic Alliances
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its multi-billion dollar multiproduct technology platform development collaboration and commercialization option arrangements with a biotechnology company.
- Represented a major European pharmaceutical company in a $500M+ development collaboration and commercialization option arrangement with a US biotechnology company.
- Represented a major India-based device and drug manufacturer in a series of development, license, manufacture and commercialization transactions with major healthcare device companies.
- Represented a leading private equity backed biotechnology company in several major deals with pharmaceutical partner companies.
- Represented a leading biotechnology company in the structuring of its novel complex commercial arrangements implicating difficult regulatory challenges.
- Represented a leading wound care company in its development, manufacturing and commercialization collaboration and license arrangements with a device manufacturer.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a separate $250M+, $700M and $200M+ multiproduct development collaboration and commercialization option arrangements with biotechnology company partners.
- Represented a major branded India pharmaceutical company in several of its multiproduct complex strategic alliances on branded drug development with different major US pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its multiproduct development and commercialization collaboration with a technology platform biotechnology company.
- Represented a major China-based pharmaceutical company in its renegotiation of a collaboration with a US biotechnology company.
- Represented a biopharma medical device company in its strategic alliance for the development, manufacturing, supply and marketing collaboration with another biopharma medical device company.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its multi-hundred million dollar “Rx-to-OTC switch” in-license transaction for a major drug going over-the-counter.
- Represented a major India-based pharmaceutical company in its collaboration with a European biotechnology company.
- Represented a European specialty pharmaceutical company in its collaboration with a major India-based pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a major biotech company in a series of challenging transactions to settle bet-the-company intellectual property litigations, clearing the way for the $6B+ M&A sale of the biotech company.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its worldwide cross-license and settlement of interface actions with another major pharmaceutical company regarding their respective blockbuster products.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in several deal-related risk assessment analyses and successfully concluded resulting negotiations for the termination or renegotiation of complex contract arrangements, including in co-promotion arrangements, development collaborations and in-license deals.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a challenging three-party contentious contract dispute matter, ensuing major litigation and three-way litigation settlement involving complex licensing and transfer of assets.
Life Sciences Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a leading private equity backed specialty pharma company in its winning 363 stalking horse bid for the acquisition of two marketed pharmaceutical products out of the bankruptcy sale of another pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its $400M+ acquisition of a therapeutic pharmaceutical product business and related assets.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its strategic acquisition of a dermatology company.
- Represented a European vaccine company in its acquisition of vaccine assets.
- Represented a major biotechnology company in its $6B+ sale and merger with regard to life sciences and healthcare regulatory related matters.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a $14B+ merger acquisition with regard to product liability, indemnification and insurance matters.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its strategic divestitures of major consumer products.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its $25M+ acquisition of Canadian rights to a biopharma medical device and related assets.
- Represented potential acquirers in numerous life sciences healthcare due diligence projects.
Operational, Marketing, Promotion and Sales Arrangements
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in its complex marketing and promotion arrangements with a specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company with several complex manufacturing arrangements.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its contract sales force arrangements with a biotechnology company.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its promotional arrangements with its independently contracted sales force personnel.
- Represented pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies and biotechnology companies in hundreds of operational transactions supporting discovery, development, commercialization, distribution and marketing of life sciences products and technologies.