Joel Moser is Head of the firm’s Energy & Infrastructure Group. His practice focuses on the planning, development, acquisition, financing, refinancing, operation and sale of energy and infrastructure assets around the world. He has represented investment funds, developers, industrial sponsors, banking and investment firms, governments and agencies in investments and transactions in a wide variety of industries, including oil and gas, transportation, power, water, professional athletics facilities, and education. Joel is an adjunct professor at Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He is the founding editor of Global Infrastructure.MEHR
Joel has received numerous professional honors and recognitions. He was honored as a leading projects lawyer by Chambers Global (2011-2013), which noted his “...ability to ‘resolve conflicts between various parties and keep a lot of creativity flowing.’” Joel was also recognized as a leading individual practitioner in PPP projects on a nationwide basis by Chambers USA (2010-2013). He was identified as a leading practitioner in the Project Finance: Advice to Sponsors category by the Legal 500 Guide to US Legal Professionals, which cited him for “instilling confidence in the client and clearly advising on the strengths and weaknesses of the finance package being gathered for the tender.” He has also been honored by Super Lawyers since 2007 in a peer review-based survey published by Law and Politics.
Joel is an active participant in many civic, philanthropic, professional and industry-focused organizations and activities. He is a member of the Brookings Institution project on foreign capital and global public investors and has served as pro bono infrastructure and board counsel to the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation.
- Oil and Gas — Represented owners and developers of oil, gas and related facilities, including Shell, Noble and Anadarko, in connection with transactions and financings for projects in Africa, Asia and North America for upstream exploration and production, refining, transmission and distribution.
- Transportation — Represented government participants, concessionaires and financial institutions in a wide variety of transactions for all forms of transportation assets, including major maritime ports, international airports and surface transport systems serving major metropolitan centers around the world, as well as highways, urban mass transit, commuter rail and airport connector lines.
- Water — Represented government entities, concessionaires and financial institutions in development, financing and PPP transactions for regional and municipal water systems serving populations ranging up to the millions.
- Power — Represented developers, owners and operators of various power facilities including the developer/owner of a 240 MW natural gas-fired co-generation plant and cross-border natural gas pipeline.
- Sports Facilities — Represented several professional athletics organizations in the US, Asia and the Middle East in the development of capital facilities, including the New York Mets baseball team in the financing of a new billion-dollar 45,000 capacity stadium in New York City.
- Renewable Energy — Represented developers, sponsors and financiers of projects in several renewable technologies — such as wind, water and biomass — including the sponsor of a series of windparks totaling 400 MW, part of a program which was named the 2007 Renewables Deal of the Year by Infrastructure Journal and the 2008 North American Deal of the Year by ProjectFinance magazine.
- Investment Funds — Represented both investment funds and institutional investors, as limited partners, in energy and infrastructure fund investments, including investments by sovereign wealth funds in cross-border investments.
Awards and Honors
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs
- Leading Lawyer in Projects: PPP (USA), Chambers Global, 2011-2013
- Leading Lawyer in Projects: PPP (Nationwide), Chambers USA, 2010-2013
- Distinguished Legal Writing Award, Burton Awards, 2013
- Board Member, Columbia University SIPA Global Energy Policy Center
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, Advisory Board, BellAziz Master Holdings Limited
- Board of Trustees, Bank Street College of Education
- Board of Trustees, New York Hall of Science (NYSCI)
- Founding Americas Council Board Member, International Project Finance Association
- Energy Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Advisory Committee, New York State and Local Retirement System
- Member, Brookings Institution Project on Foreign Capital and Global Public Investors
- Former Trustee, American Red Cross in Greater New York
- Former Trustee, Citizens Budget Commission
- Former Board Member, Alliance for Downtown New York
- Trustee, Children’s Museum of the East End