Michael Solow, Managing Partner of Kaye Scholer and Co-Chair of the firm’s Executive Committee, is a Partner in the firm’s Chicago and New York offices and Co-Chair of the Bankruptcy & Restructuring Department. He has more than 30 years of experience representing creditors, trustees and governmental agencies and other parties in the bankruptcy and insolvency area. He has represented these clients in cases throughout the United States.
Significant representations include:
- Debtor corporations in Chapter 11 cases including GSC Group, Inc., Insight Health, JHT Transportation, Pappas Telecasting, Maax Corp., Spinnaker Industries, Nutritional Sourcing Corporation and Questhaven/Runningbrook Venture.
- Numerous entities acquiring insolvent companies, including the purchasers of Ganton Technologies, Colfor Manufacturing Co., Colmach Manufacturing Co., Domore Corporation, Alma Desk Co. and Medcare HMO’s assets in its Chapter 11 case.
- Management groups in the sale of operations, including the Worldwide Business Consulting practice of Andersen Worldwide SC and related partnerships, STS Consultants and Kotler Industries.
- Senior lender groups and agents in workouts and Chapter 11 cases including WCI Communities, Aladdin Gaming, Pioneer Corporation of America, Formica Corporation and Holmes Group.
- Van Kampen Funds throughout the United States, including Vencor, Inc., Breed Technologies, MobileMedia, Decision One, Camelot Music, Marvel Entertainment, Color Tile and the London Fog restructurings.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the PG&E National Energy Group bankruptcy case.
- Bondholders and creditor committees, including those represented in the Reliance Acceptance and We Care Chapter 11 cases.
- The Chapter 11 Trustee in the Grabill and related corporate Chapter 11 cases in the sale of the debtors’ operating companies, for an amount in excess of $72,000,000, as well as appeals to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on various matters.
- Balcor in its successful appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in In re Windsor on the River, which rejected a confirmed plan of reorganization because it artificially impaired the accepting creditor class.
Michael is the author of Lease Terminations and Mortgage Foreclosures as Fraudulent Conveyances and co-author of Buying Assets in Bankruptcy: A Guide to Purchasers and Considerations in Dealing with the Federal Savings & Loan Insurance Corporation in Chapter 11 and Lender Liability and Equitable Subordination in the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education’s Secured Transactions 2001. He is a frequent lecturer on various topics relating to dealing with insolvent entities. Michael serves on numerous boards of directors for both public and private companies, including TransWorld Entertainment and the Western Golf Association.
Michael has been recognized as a Leading Individual in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since its inception. In Chambers USA 2015, he is recognized as a leading practitioner in Bankruptcy & Restructuring, where his clients note that he “ is ‘always about five moves ahead of everyone else and good at finding solutions that others might not see.’” In Chambers USA 2014, he was described as “maintain[ing] an active practice advising on bankruptcy proceedings for household-name clients. Interviewees highlight that he is ‘very smart and a great business attorney.’” In the 2013 edition, he was recognized as “a very smooth character and very influential in the way he puts a case forward in negotiations.” In 2012, a client praised Michael’s expertise, noting, “‘He offers opinions on strategy and offers many suggestions to be sure we have weighed all options.’” Michael is recognized in Legal 500 2014 for his work in corporate restructuring. He is ranked in Best Lawyers in America (2008-2016) for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, and Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy. Michael was also named as one of the leading practitioners in Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency 2016.
- Who’s Who Legal 2016 Honors Kaye Scholer Lawyers December 2016
- Kaye Scholer’s Liberty Tire Work Named Out-of-Court Restructuring Deal of the Year December 10, 2015
- Best Lawyers 2016 Recognizes 45 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 17, 2015