William A. Tanenbaum is Head of the IP & Technology Transactions Group and Head of the Green Tech & Sustainability Group at Kaye Scholer. He was named “Lawyer of the Year 2013” in Information Technology Law in New York by Best Lawyers. Bill’s practice includes IP, IT, outsourcing, data security and data sharing, Healthcare IT, Government IT, strategic IP counseling, digital business, and IT and IP aspects of corporate transactions. He assists clients in using Big Data and analytics, mobile computing, social media and Cloud computing. In 2013, as in prior years, Bill was ranked in Band One in Technology and Outsourcing in New York by Chambers, and his IP and Technology Transactions Group was ranked in the First Tier in Information Technology Law at the National level and in New York by US News & World Report/Best Lawyers. Chambers found that he “built one of New York City’s most outstanding transactional IT practices.”MEHR
In 2013, Bill was also recognized as an “IP Star,” as one of the Top 30 Information Technology Lawyers in the US, as a “Life Science Star” for his work in Healthcare IT, and as one of the “CleanTech 100” for his work in IP and IT, and was recommended in Licensing and named as leading lawyer in Internet & e-Commerce (by Managing IP, Expert Guide’s Best of the Best, Euromoney’s LMG Life Science Guide 2012-2013 and LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide, IAM’s The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners and Who’s Who Legal, respectively). The common element in his practice is that clients in a range of industries retain him for his IP and IT experience.
Bill is a past President of the International Technology Law Association. He is currently Vice President of the Metropolitan New York Chapter of the Society for Information Management (SIM), an industry association of CIOs and senior IT executives, and the Attorney-Designate to the Advisory Board of the Sourcing Interests Group, an industry outsourcing association.
Surveys of clients, in-house counsel and peer attorneys also find that he:
- “is one of the best IP attorneys I have worked with” (Euromoney’s LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide)
- “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearless and a practical, real world mindset to every problem” (Chambers)
- is “at a stage in his career where no issue is unfamiliar, too complex or intimidating to take on” (Chambers)
- is a “thought leader” who is “smart, practical, tactical and highly strategic” (Chambers)
- “draws on a truly impressive array of technology law expertise, creativity, high integrity and common sense, and he gets parties to closure” (Legal500)
- is “an effective negotiator” (Chambers)
- is “intellectual yet pragmatic” and “among the market’s foremost IT licensing experts and a leading authority on related issues such as data security, privacy and social media” (World’s 250 Leading Patent and Technology Lawyers)
- “is an acknowledged expert on the convergence of mainstream businesses with cleantech” (Chambers)
Because of the strength of Bill’s practice, Kaye Scholer was named as the “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York for 2013” by Global Law Experts, the “Internet & E-Commerce Law Firm of the Year” by The Lawyers World Law Awards 2011 and is “Recommended” for IP in CleanTech in the Clean Technology and Renewable Guide. Bill’s experience and leadership in the fields of technology transactions and outsourcing were recognized when he was selected to serve as the neutral arbitrator in a $30 million outsourcing dispute and other arbitrations.
Bill is the lead partner in IP and IT transactions and patent litigations. He led a litigation team that handled a significant business method patent case for a multinational financial institution. He also led a team that won a victory for a multinational medical device client in a patent case in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He chairs or co-chairs annual legal conferences on Outsourcing, Healthcare IT, Cloud Computing and GreenTech, and is a frequent speaker at industry conferences.
Bill is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.
Other Selected Professional Recognition
- Named as one of the World’s Leading 250 IP Strategists, one of the World’s 250 Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners and one of the World’s Leading 1000 Patent Practitioners by Intellectual Asset Management
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2002-2014) for Information Technology Law
- Named as a member of the “Legal 500” in the Media, Technology and Telecoms - Outsourcing category
- Named to the International Who’s Who of Internet, e-Commerce & Data Protection Lawyers 2011 and 2013
- Noted in Who’s Who Legal 2013 for Internet & e-Commerce
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 - The World’s Leading Patent Professionals for Licensing (2012-2013)
- Named to “Who’s Who in America,” “Who’s Who in American Law” and “America’s Leading Business Lawyers”
- Listed in Super Lawyers
Selected Notable Matters
- Established technology infrastructures for US companies in China for the Beijing Olympics
- Advised NASA and the New York County Lawyers’ Association on intellectual property matters
- Handles state-wide Government IT projects
- Advises in private sector IT, business process and knowledge process outsourcing, and IT agreements for financial institutions and other Fortune 500 companies
- Advises in public sector IT and business process outsourcing, including engagements by the New York City Housing Authority and the State of Washington
- Updated Internet Commerce websites for financial institutions
- Advises on database breaches and cybersecurity
- Advises in Cloud Computing, Big Data and predictive analytics, including using Cloud as a test bed for new products, and as a computational platform and hosting environment for IT ecosystems as well as a storage medium