Steven Wright is a Partner in the firm’s Shanghai office, where he has worked since 2007. Steve focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions and foreign direct investment. He has advised major US and European multinational corporations on a wide range of issues relating to their China-based operations, including acquisitions, Sino-foreign joint ventures, establishment of Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprises and Representative Offices, regulatory compliance, corporate governance and employment matters. In addition, he regularly supervises legal work for the Asia Pacific region in connection with major international transactions.MEHR
Steve also has substantial experience working with US companies on domestic transactions. His US-based representations include mergers and acquisitions involving public and private companies, advice on compliance with federal and state securities laws, and matters relating to wind power and entertainment law.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai office, Steve practiced with the firm’s Los Angeles office for several years. Although he is a US national, Steve has previously lived in Taiwan, Argentina and South Korea, and he is proficient in Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and Korean.
- S.C. Johnson & Son in its acquisition of a majority stake in one of China's leading manufacturers and distributors of pest control products, air fresheners, disinfectants and household cleaners.
- Metso Paper in the successful restructuring of Valmet Xian Paper Machinery Co., Ltd., a joint venture with a Chinese SOE, including multiple equity transfers, extension of the JV term, transfers of buildings and facilities and the conversion of allocated State-owned land for acquisition of land use rights to two large tracts of land.
- Hyatt with respect to various hotel and branded residence projects in many locations, including Beijing, Shanghai and Sanya.
- American Securities LLC in its acquisition of Unifrax I LLC, a leading global manufacturer of ceramic fiber insulation products used in many high-temperature industrial applications. The Shanghai office handled the China portion of this global acquisition.
- Compass Partners in the sale of Drake Beam Morin, the world’s third-largest provider of career transition and talent development services, to Adecco Group, the global leader in Human Resource services, for an enterprise value of EUR 149 million. The Shanghai office supervised and coordinated review of the sale in 5 jurisdictions in the Asia Pacific region with the assistance of a network of local counsel.
- Jarden Corporation in its acquisition of the Mapa Spontex baby care and home care businesses of Total S.A. (for a total purchase price around USD$500 million), which involved entities in more than a dozen countries on four continents. The Shanghai office advised on the part of the transaction relating to China, as well as leading the effort for the rest of the Asia Pacific region with the support of a network of local counsel, and was effectively responsible for transactions involving five entities in four jurisdictions in the Asia Pacific region.
- Special Committee of Harrah’s in connection with the approximately $28 billion sale of the company to two private equity firms, which was the fourth largest private equity sale in history at the time it was announced.