William Hoffman is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who has represented a wide range of clients in major product liability and other complex litigation, criminal investigations, actions by State Attorneys General, regulatory matters and litigation avoidance counseling. William has tried a number of cases to verdict in both state and federal court, has argued numerous appeals and conducted evidentiary hearings. He is a member of the DC Circuit’s Appointed Counsel Panel.
From 1992 to 1996, William served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, where he represented the government in a wide range of civil litigation and criminal investigations.
William served as a law clerk to the Honorable James L. Buckley, United States Circuit Court Judge for the District of Columbia Circuit, from 1991 to 1992.
William has been individually recognized by a number of industry guides and publications. He is recommended by The Legal 500 United States in the categories of product liability and mass tort defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices and Healthcare: life sciences, and recognized by Who’s Who Legal 2013 for his work in life sciences and product liability defense. William was also named as a “Life Science Star” in the 2012-2013 issues of Euromoney’s LMG Life Sciences Guide. Additionally, he has been recognized as one of the leading Product Liability Defense and Life Sciences practitioners in The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and has served as an instructor at the Foundation for Law and Science Center’s Judicial Science Training on Daubert Issues. William was previously an adjunct professor at the Fordham Law School. He has authored several articles and chapters concerning pharmaceutical criminal and regulatory issues.
Products Liability Coordination & Litigation
- Pfizer—National Coordinating Counsel Asbestos Litigation.
- In re Reglan Products Liability Litigation (2011–Present).
- In re Hormone Replacement Products Liability Litigation (2004–Present).
- In re Diet Drugs Products Liability Litigation (1997–2004).
- In re Rezulin Products Liability Litigation (2000–2007).
- In re Seroquel Products Liability (2007–2012).
Criminal and State Attorney General Investigations
- Represented major pharmaceutical companies in federal criminal investigation concerning allegations of failure to disclose safety information.
- Represented companies in criminal investigations involving failure to disclose safety information and marketing activities.
- Represented major pharmaceutical companies in State Attorney General investigations and civil actions concerning marketing and sales activities.
- Williams v. Martinez, 586 F.3d 995 (DC Cir. 2009).
- In re Prempro Products Liability Litig., 586 F.3d 547 (8th Cir. 2009).
- Pangburn v. Culbertson, 200 F.3d 65 (2d Cir. 1999).
- U.S. v. Adleman (II), 134 F.3d 1194 (2d Cir. 1998).
- U.S. v. Adleman (I), 68 F.3d 1495 (2d Cir. 1995).
- State of New York v. Shalala, 50 F.3d 179 (2d Cir. 1995).
- Kuralt v. U.S., 40 F.3d 25 (2d Cir. 1995).
- Buitrago-Cuesta v. I.N.S., 7 F.3d 291 (2d Cir. 1993).