Wolfgang Leip is a litigator and corporate counselor who represents clients across a wide variety of key business issues. His litigation experience includes: patent litigation at district, appellate, Federal Patent Court and Federal Supreme Court levels; intellectual property and trade secrets, ex-parte and cross-border injunctions; competition and international trade; complex commercial and banking litigation, multi-district and appellate; arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. He represents litigation clients in several industries including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, chemicals, automotive manufacturing, construction machinery, and the food industry.
Wolfgang also has broad corporate experience representing and counseling clients in critical matters such as: mergers and acquisitions; restructuring and outsourcing; antitrust and competition; franchise agreements; exclusive distribution and licensing. He represents corporate clients in several industries including pharmaceutical, chemicals, food industry, medical devices, automotive and manufacturing.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer's Frankfurt office in 2008, Wolfgang was associated with, and partner in, several other prominent international and German law firms in Frankfurt: Mayer Brown (2001-2007), its German predecessor GAEDERTZ Rechtsanwälte (1990- 2001), Boden Oppenhoff Rasor Schneider & Schiedermair (later Linklaters), and Pünder, Volhard & Weber (later Clifford Chance). During his tenure with these firms between 1982 and 2007, Wolfgang held progressively more responsible positions, including partner (as of 1986) and managing partner (1988-1990, 1997). In addition to his native German, he is fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish and also speaks French.
- Representation of Fresenius AG in patent invalidation proceedings before the German Federal Supreme Court against a Japanese competitor.
- Coordination and performance of discovery procedures within US patent and copyright infringement proceedings for Compuware v. IBM at various companies in Germany, England, Belgium, France and Italy.
- Advising Abbott Laboratories, USA, in the coordination of cross-border patent infringement proceedings and obtaining border seizures in drug- and trade mark related product piracy.
- Representing Terex Corporation, USA, in various patent infringement proceedings regarding road construction machines before the District Courts of Düsseldorf and Mannheim, the Appellate Courts of Düsseldorf and Karlsruhe and in invalidation proceedings before the German Federal Patent Court and the Federal Supreme Court.
- Representing Fanuc Robotics, a Japanese market-leader in the production of paint robots for the automotive industry, in patent infringement proceedings before the District Court of Mannheim.
- Representing Dutch chemical group Royal DSM´s US branch DSM Desotech in a patent litigation regarding a process for the production of photo curable resins. Infringement proceedings before the District Court and Appellate Court of Frankfurt am Main and revocation proceedings before the Federal Patent Court and the German Federal Supreme Court.
- Defending Spectrum Brands-Tetra against the filing of an interlocutory injunction by a French competitor based on alleged patent infringement relating to a water filter in injunction proceedings before the District Court of Düsseldorf and coordination of the parallel patent infringement proceedings in France before the Tribunal de Grande Instance, Paris.
- Representing TriStrata Technologies, Inc., USA against a French cosmetics group for patent infringement regarding the composition of a cosmetic substance before the District Court of Frankfurt am Main, including revocation proceedings before the Federal Patent Court.
- Representing the German automotive Supplier Peguform in a patent infringement litigation regarding the technical design of bumpers at the District Court Frankfurt am Main.
- Representing a large French manufacturer of office supplies in the defense against a statute-barred antitrust fine of the EU Commission by way of preliminary injunction proceedings before the District Court of Frankfurt am Main and the European Court of First Instance.
- Representing the leading European manufacturer of automated commissioning shelves for pharmacies in patent law arbitration proceedings.
- Representing the European subsidiaries in the UK and the Czech Republic of a large US manufacturer for shop fitting shelves in numerous litigations relating to trade dress and competition issues at the Cologne District Court and the Cologne Court of Appeals.
- Representing Spectrum Brands-Tetra in various proceedings regarding the application of the EU Biocide Directive.
- Representing a leading manufacturer of fruit juice in all questions of Trademarks, Design, Competition and in food law and labeling issues versus competitors and public authorities, securing its unique selling position and distribution system and obtaining interlocutory injunctions at court against trade dress and trademark infringers.
- Representing True Fruits, a leading German manufacturer of smoothies in a trademark litigation against an infringer of client’s rights in urgent injunction proceeding obtaining immediate injunction and final permanent cease and desist undertaking from competitor.
- Representing a leading manufacturer of health food in trademark litigations in Mannheim and Berlin in a complex trademark infringement dispute involving identical trademarks in connection with the German re-unification.
In the Market
- Kaye Scholer’s Frankfurt Life Sciences Team Featured in LMG Life Sciences Europe July 29, 2014
- JUVE Handbuch 2013-2014 Recommends Kaye Scholer’s Frankfurt Office 1. November 2013
- Juve Handbuch 2012-2013 Recognizes Achievements of Frankfurt Office 20. November 2012