Sam Lonergan concentrates his practice on complex commercial disputes with a focus on providing practical advice that balances his clients’ business and financial needs with legal considerations. He has litigated on behalf of clients in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, finance, telecommunications, energy, aircraft and retail.
Sam represents clients nationally in US federal and state courts, administrative proceedings and mediations. He is experienced at developing and efficiently executing litigation strategies to achieve his clients’ goals. He has successfully taken multiple matters to trial in state and federal courts and served as a key member of the team that obtained the reversal by the Alabama Supreme Court of a $33 million jury verdict and judgment in a fraud action brought by the State of Alabama.
Sam has been honored for his pro bono work and has received multiple individual pro bono achievement awards. Acting as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Kings County, New York, he successfully defended an appeal from a criminal conviction and has also helped secure benefits for numerous disabled clients through civil litigation.
Sam joined the firm in 2001 upon his graduation from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Represented Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation in a series of pharmaceutical pricing fraud actions brought predominantly by state attorneys general and in a federal court action pertaining to alleged anti-kickback statute and False Claims Act violations.
- Represented multiple international financial institutions against fraudulent conveyance claims arising from leveraged finance transactions.
- Represented Consolidated Edison Solutions, Inc. and Consolidated Edison Development, Inc. in patent infringement lawsuits pertaining to solar and wind power generation monitoring.
- Representing Sanofi-aventis in a patent infringement trial pertaining to attempts to market generic versions of the company’s Allegra® antihistamine products.
- Represented Time Warner Cable in multiple patent infringement lawsuits pertaining to various telecommunication technologies.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of an aircraft parts manufacturer through a mediation involving competing security interests in aircraft turbine engines and the complex interplay of international treaties and the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Represented a retail chain against allegations of fraud and deceptive trade practices pertaining to its marketing practices concerning seafood.
In the Market
- Kaye Scholer Announces Attorney Elevations for 2014 December 11, 2013
- Trends in State Attorney General litigation: Practical Considerations for Defendants June/July 2013
- Kaye Scholer LLP Announces New Partnership Class December 21, 2010