Dr. Michael Weigel has been practicing as a corporate and commercial litigator and arbitrator since 1989. He has vast experience leading complex lawsuits and arbitration proceedings in the fields of economic, trade, corporate, and banking and finance law. He represents clients across a broad range of areas and has acted for numerous German and international industrial enterprises and financial institutions in various high profile matters, including warranty, compensation and recourse claims. Also he is acting in a professional negligence matter.
Before joining Kaye Scholer in 2008 he was with Linklaters and its German predecessors, where he was partner since 1994.
Dr. Weigel is ranked in several law firm directories; for example, he has been recognized as a “Leading Litigator” in the international trade publications Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Global: The World`s Leading Lawyers for Business, every year since the inclusion of the Litigation/Arbitration category. The renowned law firm directory quotes a client as follows: “He understands extremely complicated court cases inside out and knows every advantageous strategic argument.” Dr. Weigel is also recognized for Litigation by Best Lawyers in Germany (2016), Expert Guides (2016), and Legal 500 Deutschland (2016). The German Litigation Team is recommended in Chambers Global (2014, 2016) and Chambers Europe (2014, 2015). In the “Kanzleimonitor” published by the German Organization of Inhouse Counsel (BUJ), they are listed as “Hidden Champions.”
Dr. Weigel is a member of the Board of Directors of the Frankfurt Bar (Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt) and chair of the Civil Procedural (ZPO) Committee of the German Federal Bar (BRAK).
- Advising a group of lenders regarding the prospective outcome of a lawsuit against the borrower filed by one of its customer raising a 9-digit claim based on alleged defects of a production line for solar panels.
- Acted as arbitrator in a dispute about the interpretation of a production contract between the seller and the purchaser of production plants in the food industry. Following the suggestions of the panel the parties have come to a settlement.
- Representation of and advise to Bernd Lunkewitz in claiming damages in the 8 to 9 digit range, against the former Treuhandanstalt which had sold the Aufbau Verlag to him without having title which was discovered 17 years later.
- Representation of the former Massa AG against Metro in a claim for damages in the amount of more than €50 million because Metro acquired the client’s retail business for an inadequate purchase price when it still was Metro’s subsidiary.
- Representation of the German holding company DIVACO (which is e.g. the parent company of the former Massa AG) against its former parent company Metro AG in various disputes. Those include claims for damages in the 7 to 8 digit range based on a breach of fiduciary obligations and counter claims raised by Metro in the 7 to 8 digit range for reimbursement of taxes incurred by a subsidiary which was transferred back to Metro.
- Representation of Deutsche Leasing i. e. its subsidiary LGS Leasinggesellschaft der Sparkassen in its defense against claims for the repayment of purchase prices in an amount of more than €100 million raised by banks which had acquired LGS`s receivables against FlowTex before its fraud scheme was discovered. The law suits went through all instances. In the end half of the claims raised against the client were dismissed while the other half was settled favorably.
- Representation of a JP Morgan in the enforcement of an outstanding loan in the amount of €500 million against Prima Com. The matter involved not only several law suits in Germany and - together with colleagues there - in the UK but also the enforcement of UK-titles in Germany. The matter was finally settled favorably.
In The Market
- Four Frankfurt Partners Recognized by Best Lawyers in Germany June 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Chambers Europe 2016 Recognizes Kaye Scholer May 2, 2016 • Recognitions
- Chambers Global 2016 Recognizes Kaye Scholer Lawyers March 2016 • Recognitions