On September 18, 2008, MAAX, a leading North American manufacturer of award-winning bathroom products and spas for the residential housing market, sold substantially all of its assets to Tricap Partners Ltd. ("Tricap"), a private equity fund managed by Brookfield Asset Management.
In connection with the sale to Tricap, Kaye Scholer, acting as U.S. legal counsel, advised MAAX and its affiliates in developing a strategy that involved cross-border insolvency issues in Canada and the U.S. Following the signing of an agreement with Brookfield Bridge Lending Fund Inc. ("BBLF"), an affiliate of Tricap, whereby BBLF credit bid approximately $270 million for substantially all of MAAX's assets and the assumption of certain liabilities, MAAX and its Canadian subsidiaries filed for protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act in Montreal. After securing approval for its sale from the Canadian court, certain of MAAX's U.S. subsidiaries filed Chapter 15 bankruptcy petitions in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware for recognition of the Canadian proceedings and to complete the sale.
Stephen C. Koval and Thomas Yadlon, both Partners in the Corporate & Finance Department, led the corporate team, and Michael B. Solow and D. Tyler Nurnberg, both Partners in the Business Reorganization and Creditors' Rights Practice Group, led the bankruptcy team.
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- Pitfalls of Present-Day Contracts: Hyperlinked Contract Terms November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Biohaven on Oversubscribed Private Financing November 4, 2016 • Client Successes