Kaye Scholer Scores Major Victory for Pharmaceutical Industry at the Federal Circuit in Wyeth v. Kappos
In a decision with sweeping implications for patent owners in every industry, on January 7, 2010, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the judgment of the District Court in Wyeth v. Kappos, No. 2009-1120 (Fed. Cir. 2009). In this case we successfully challenged on behalf of our client Wyeth (now Pfizer) at the district court level and on appeal, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's interpretation of the statute designed to compensate patent holders for loss of patent term due to delays in processing applications. The USPTO's interpretation denied patents the full term to which they were entitled under the proper reading of the statute. Echoing the district court’s ruling, the Federal Circuit found that the statute "is clear, unambiguous, and intolerant of the PTO's suggested interpretation."
Shortly after the Court's ruling, the USPTO and the Department of Justice announced that no further review of the Federal Circuit’s decision would be pursued. Well over one hundred follow-on cases had been filed in the wake of Wyeth. As a direct result of the Wyeth victory, additional patent term should be granted in all of those cases. In addition, on January 28th, the USPTO announced that new calculation procedures would be implemented in light of Wyeth and provided an interim procedure for patentees to recover patent term. Since each day of additional patent term can provide considerable economic, commercial and competitive advantages, this is a significant victory for our client and all companies seeking patent protection.
The successful Kaye Scholer team included David O. Bickart.
Also of Interest
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes