Kaye Scholer represented ConsumerInfo.com, Inc., owner of the FreeCreditReport.com® trademark and website, and part of the Experian family of companies, in its successful suit against competitors One Technologies LP and Adaptive Marketing LLC for registering and using domain names similar to FreeCreditReport.com®. The Defendants claimed the FreeCreditReport.com® trademark was generic, that ConsumerInfo's registration for the mark was obtained by fraud on the Patent and Trademark Office, and was used by ConsumerInfo in violation of the antitrust laws. After a four-week trial, a unanimous federal jury in the Central District of California rejected the fraud defense and found that the FreeCreditReport.com® mark was distinctive and famous, mooting the antitrust issues. After finding the that Defendants registered the infringing domain names in bad faith, the jury concluded that ConsumerInfo's lost profits and Defendants' unjust profits totaled $1.9 million.
The trial team was led by Rhonda R. Trotter, and included Robert Bell, Joshua Stambaugh, Oscar Ramallo, Darya Pollak Laufer, and Amanda Myers.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Complete Motion to Dismiss for Redwood Capital July 22, 2016 • Client Successes
- NISPOM’s New Insider Threat Program Is an Opportunity to Establish Competitive Edge July 13, 2016 • Client Alerts