What’s in a name? Quite a lot for the transgender population. With all the ordeals and challenges they routinely face, many often have to grapple with the problem of having a name that does not accurately identify them, creating myriad bureaucratic nightmares.
Kaye Scholer became involved with the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund’s (TLDEF) Name Change Project in December 2010 when Associate Lindsay Moilanen took on the first case. Lindsay’s success laid the groundwork, creating templates and memoranda to help guide our lawyers through the process. Since then, we have taken on several more name change petitions, including cases handled by Associates Candice Andalia, Nicholas Friedman, Michél Pignatiello, Javier Stark, and Counsel Victoria Frankenburg, under the supervision of Partners Sheila Boston, Jeff Fuisz, Peter Haveles, Manvin Mayell and Ben Mintz.
Transgender clients from TLDEF are often indigent, and many have had adversarial relationships with the court system stemming from criminal charges based on their identity, so part of the challenge is helping them navigate the legal system. Completing a formal name change bridges the gap between the individual’s legal identification and self-identification.
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions
- Jungermann and Steger Counsel Water Integrity Network on Libel Law March 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Ninth Circuit’s En Banc Decision in Wolfson Validates Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts... February 3, 2016 • Client Successes