Focus on UK and EU legal and regulatory management and fund issues
NEW YORK: Kaye Scholer recently presented an all-day seminar to senior management and in-house counsel at the New York City offices of client MacKay Shields, a global fixed income investment advisory firm with more than $80 billion under management. Senior executives and in-house counsel from New York Life Insurance Company, the parent company of Mackay Shields, also attended.
Chaired by New York Corporate Partner John Fallon, Los Angeles Investment Funds Partner Timothy Spangler and London Investment Funds Partner Simon Firth also participated in the discussions about a wide-range of legal, regulatory and operational issues currently confronting UK-based investment management firms, European investment funds, the regulation of investment managers and funds by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and other general UK and EU operating and compliance issues that investment managers and investment funds encounter. Of particular importance was the expected implementation of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) regulations in the EU and its application to MacKay Shields activities in the UK and EU.
Kaye Scholer has been advising MacKay Shields on the creation, regulation and management of its new UK subsidiary MacKay Shields UK LLP, which was approved by the FCA on May 1st as an authorized UK investment manager, as well as on the formation and approval of their new Irish-based qualified investment fund (QIF) and several new feeder funds for the QIF.
New York Associate John Csuka and London Trainee Amy Utley greatly assisted in coordinating the extensive materials for the seminar.
MacKay Shields has requested that Kaye Scholer make this an annual presentation to keep their executives and in-house counsel up to date on UK and EU investment management and fund issues.
Kaye Scholer’s Investment Funds Practice helps structure, document and register a variety of pooled investment vehicles for US, UK and European funds and their advisers. It regularly advises sponsors on the formation, structuring and negotiation of a wide variety of investment vehicles, as well as on the full spectrum of securities and regulatory issues typically associated with such transactions. It also advises on a wide range of compliance and exemption issues, including discussions with the SEC, the FCA and other regulators.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles