Kaye Scholer Secures Settlement of Two Patent Infringement Cases Filed by Illumina Against Complete Genomics
Parties agree to dismiss all claims and counterclaims in two lawsuits brought by Illumina
PALO ALTO--Kaye Scholer secured a settlement agreement for long-term client Complete Genomics with Illumina, Inc. under which Illumina will dismiss with prejudice both lawsuits it had brought against Complete: Illumina, Inc. and Solexa, Inc. v. Complete Genomics, Inc., Case No. 10-cv-05542 EDL (N.D. Cal.); and Illumina, Inc. and Illumina Cambridge Ltd. v. Complete Genomics, Inc., Case No. 12-cv-01465 BEN BGS (S.D. Cal).
Complete will dismiss with prejudice all counterclaims. The parties have entered into mutual releases, and each party will bear its own litigation costs. No payment is being made by either party to the other, and no licenses are being granted by either party to the other.
This settlement follows on the heels of a March 2013 ruling for Complete Genomics by Kaye Scholer, in which the firm’s patent litigators secured a trio of decisions invalidating the asserted sequencing method claims of the ‘597 patent and finding not infringed the asserted kit claims of the ‘597 patent.
The Kaye Scholer litigation team was led by Partner Michael Malecek, and included Partner Peter Root, Associates Marisa Armanino Williams, Sean Boyle, and Henry Schober.
Kaye Scholer has a strong track record when it comes to trying exceptionally complicated patent infringement cases, particularly in the life sciences and technology industries. With a primary focus on trial and litigation capability, much of the group's work on behalf of clients concerns blockbuster products. Many of our patent lawyers have degrees in chemistry, biochemistry, engineering or computer science, which allows us to quickly grasp the most sophisticated scientific concepts and make them understandable to judges and juries. During pretrial, we stress efficient and productive discovery and, where possible, an early disposition of the issues by summary judgment or tactical settlement.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles