Firm successfully defeats minority shareholders’ attempt to stop going private transaction
Kaye Scholer successfully represented Kenneth Cole Productions Inc. and former CEO Paul Blum in a New York Supreme Court case (In re Kenneth Cole Productions Inc. Shareholder Litigation), brought by minority shareholders, challenging the terms under which the company would be taken private. The judge held that Cole, the company’s controlling shareholder, was under no obligation to cede to the shareholders’ demands that he get a higher price for his company from a third party.
Applying the business judgment rule, the judge agreed with Kaye Scholer and other lawyers for the co-defendants that Cole had taken all appropriate steps in structuring the deal, including his appointment of a four-person special committee and even increasing his initial offer to $160 million. Noting that the deal was reviewed and approved by more than 99 percent of the company’s public shareholders, the judge found that the minority shareholders had failed to prove that obtaining a higher price for the company was even possible.
“Kenneth Cole Productions handled every step of this process legally and beyond fairly,” said Partner Catherine B. Schumacher, who led the litigation team along with Partner Vincent A. Sama and Associate Daphne Morduchowitz. “We are excited for our client and wish the entire team the best of luck in their next phase as a thriving private company.”
Kaye Scholer’s Securities & Derivative Litigation practice represents issuers, investment banks, directors, officers and special committees in state and federal class action securities and derivative cases throughout the US. The team also guides clients through investigations by the SEC, FINRA, DOJ and state attorneys general. Whether it’s an alleged violation of the Securities Act or a breach of fiduciary duties, the firm carefully crafts its strategy to meet client objectives in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association Honors Waks November 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Who’s the Lender? Two “True Lender” Cases with Implications for Marketplace Platforms November 10, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Chambers UK 2017 Recognizes London Partners and Aviation Finance Practice November 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions