Kaye Scholer successfully secured dismissal of a negligent misrepresentation case brought against the former CFO of a public company that went into bankruptcy due to a fraud allegedly perpetrated by the Company’s CEO (Vion Operations, LLC, et al. v Brian Wasserman, US District Court, Maryland). Two of the Company’s factors sued the Company’s former CFO of Continuity X, based on what they claimed were negligent representations made by the former CFO in connection with their entering into a factoring agreement with the Company. In addition to noting the CFO’s position that he too had been a victim of the CEO’s fraud, which as CFO he helped to expose, the Court concluded that the CFO did not have any relationship with the Company’s factors which would create a duty of care running from him to the factors, who were sophisticated lenders entering into an arm’s length financing arrangement.
The case was removed from Maryland state court, where it was original filed, to the US District Court for the District of Maryland, which rendered the decision dismissing the complaint with prejudice.
John Geelan led the Firm’s representation of the Company’s CFO, with the assistance of Ben Mintz and Noah Peters.
Also of Interest
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- New LSTA Par/Near Par Delayed Compensation Regime August 31, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Delaware Court Endorses Share Tracing in Order to Deny Appraisal Claims in Dell Merger August 24, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles