Reception commemorates anniversary of Superstorm Sandy and recognizes disaster relief contributions of New York legal community
NEW YORK: Kaye Scholer was honored at the New York Legal Assistance Group’s (NYLAG) Pro Bono Awards Reception, held on the one-year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy to recognize the individuals, law firms and community organizations that have supported, and continue to support, NYLAG’s storm response efforts.
NYLAG is a legal services organization that provides access to justice for low-income New Yorkers who cannot afford private attorneys. When Superstorm Sandy struck on October 29, 2012, NYLAG’s downtown headquarters were flooded, displacing hundreds of staff attorneys, paralegals, administrators, and volunteers. Kaye Scholer provided temporary office space for NYLAG’s Financial Counseling Division, which offers free and confidential services to eligible clients who encounter short term financial crises and/or require long term financial planning. In addition, in the immediate aftermath of the storm, firm personnel functioned as legal first responders in hard-hit neighborhoods, working side by side with NYLAG attorneys at community sites and aboard NYLAG’s Mobile Legal Help Center to provide legal advice to victims of the storm. Partner Peter Haveles; Associates Tanya Blocker, Trevor Owens, Peter Roth, Alan Rothman and Efrem Schwalb; and Senior Legal Assistant Laurie Schwall are among those who contributed their time and energy to these initiatives.
“We are grateful to Kaye Scholer and the entire New York legal community. Their support made it possible for NYLAG to respond quickly and effectively to the legal needs of low-income New Yorkers at a time of unprecedented crisis,” said Yisroel Schulman, NYLAG’s President and Attorney-in-Charge.
For a full list of the individuals, law firms and community organizations honored, please see NYLAG’s website.
Kaye Scholer's pro bono efforts reflect the firm's commitment to the community, and are essential to the development of our lawyers. This commitment led the firm to become a charter member of the Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, which requires that at least three percent of our overall practice must consist of pro bono work. We meet or exceed this challenge each year by providing quality legal assistance to a diverse range of clients.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions
- Jungermann and Steger Counsel Water Integrity Network on Libel Law March 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Ninth Circuit’s En Banc Decision in Wolfson Validates Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts... February 3, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts Help Preserve Kansas’ Independent Judiciary January 4, 2016 • Client Successes