Kaye Scholer Antitrust Partner And Former FTC Assistant Director Claudia Higgins Comments On New FTC Rules For Pharma Patent Licensing Transactions
Washington, DC: Earlier this week, the FTC adopted rules that will expand the number of pharmaceutical patent licensing transactions that are subject to HSR filings and review by the FTC.
“The new FTC rules will apply only to pharmaceutical licensing, an approach that raises questions about why the agency would single out this industry for heightened regulatory scrutiny under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act. Although the FTC asserts that it supports efforts to get new cost-effective medicines out to patients sooner, the implementation of these new rules will result in an increased number of HSR filings for pharmaceutical licensing transactions, adding cost and delay to a significant number of agreements for which Agency review is neither necessary nor mandated by the Act,” said Claudia R. Higgins, formerly a FTC Assistant Director, who is now an Antitrust Partner at Kaye Scholer’s Washington office.
“The rules will apply to patents covering products whose manufacture and sale would produce revenue in the following areas: medical and botanical manufacturing, pharmaceutical preparation manufacturing, in-vitro diagnostic substance manufacturing and biological product (except diagnostic) manufacturing.”
To schedule an interview with Claudia or talk further about the potential impact for the pharma industry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also learn more by reading Kaye Scholer’s Client Alert on the topic here.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- GIR 100 Names Kaye Scholer a World Leader in Cross-Border Investigations October 10, 2016 • Recognitions
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Morgenstern, Patterson Assess Second Circuit’s Antitrust Legacy in Fordham Law Review September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes