Event created in collaboration with the Association of Pro Bono Counsel (APBCo), financial services consultants, city and state agencies, and students from Brooklyn and Columbia Law
New York, NY: Kaye Scholer LLP is partnering with Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP; Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP; Latham & Watkins LLP and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP for the second annual Small Business Legal Academy (SBLA), a free all-day expo providing legal counseling to small business owners and nonprofits throughout New York City. The event offers workshops and one-on-one personal consultations on a wide range of legal and financial topics of concern to small business owners and founders of non-profit organizations. The expo will take place on Wednesday, November 19, 2014.
Following its successful inaugural launch, held last year at the World Famous Apollo Theater in Harlem, this year’s event will be hosted by Brooklyn Law School and its Center for Urban Business Entrepreneurship (CUBE).
“Last year’s event successfully brought together several leading law firms on behalf of an under-represented segment,” said Alison King, Kaye Scholer’s Pro Bono Counsel, who was selected by APBCo to lead its organizing committee for the past two consecutive years, “We are honored to again serve as resources for the smart and dedicated individuals whose small businesses and non-profits are serving their communities.”
Among other topics, the SPBLA will offer practical counsel on:
- Non-profit governance and fundraising
- Whether you should be a Corporation, LLC or LLP
- How to finance your business
- How to protect your personal assets from law suits
- Hiring and managing personnel
- How to protect your intellectual property (and avoid infringing other’s IP)
- What you should know before you sign your commercial lease
This year, the Small Business Legal Academy is brought to you by APBCo in partnership with Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A; The City Bar Justice Center; Lawyers Alliance for New York; The Legal Aid Society; New York Lawyers for the Public Interest; Pro Bono Net; Start Small, Think Big; Urban Justice Center; Volunteers of Legal Service; Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts; and Brooklyn Law School’s Center for Urban Entrepreneurship. New additions this year include Spring Bank and Empire Development.
For more information about the Small Business Legal Academy or to register for the event, please visit www.probono.net/sbla.
About Kaye Scholer’s Pro Bono Initiative
As a proud signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, Kaye Scholer views pro bono work as an essential part of our core values and collaborative culture. Beyond our commitment to, and belief in, the importance of justice and legal parity, an active pro bono practice promotes skills training and exposure to increased responsibilities among associates and enables all lawyers to fulfill their professional obligation to provide pro bono legal service on an annual basis.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions