Kaye Scholer Secures Summary Judgment on “Repo” Financing Issue with Significant Implications for Securities Market
Kaye Scholer is representing U.S. Education Finance Group, a sponsor of government guaranteed student loan backed securitizations, in One William Street Capital Management L.P. v. U.S. Education Loan Trust IV et al, a suit brought by an institutional investor in those securities claiming that it is owed additional principal and interest payments.
On an issue that has been largely unaddressed to date by New York courts, NY Supreme Court Justice Eileen Bransten granted the client's motion for summary judgment, holding that a repurchase agreement (repo) the investor had with its prime broker transferred ownership of the securities to the repo counterparty, thereby divesting the investor of legal standing to sue the issuer for principal and interest.
“On any given day there are billions of dollars of repo transactions on securities in place and this decision helps clarify the relative rights of those repo counterparties to bring claims relating to the securities,” said Financial Services Litigation partner Eric Whitney, who leads the Kaye Scholer team representing U.S. Education Finance Group. “This is an important decision for our client, which is very pleased with the outcome.”
Repo agreements are a common way for institutional investors to finance securities. Under such agreements, the securities are sold to a broker for cash, subject to an obligation on the part of the investor to repurchase the securities at a later date. In One William Street, the investor had financed its ownership of the securities in question using a repurchase agreement with its prime broker that had been continuously extended, or “rolled,” from inception to present, meaning that the investor had never taken back ownership of the securities.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Delaware Court Endorses Share Tracing in Order to Deny Appraisal Claims in Dell Merger August 24, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles