Kaye Scholer advised longtime client Novartis on its long-term agreement with California-based Thermo Fisher Scientific to develop and commercialize a multi-marker, universal next-generation sequencing (NGS) oncology test. Under the terms of the agreement, announced November 18, the test will serve as a companion diagnostic (CDx) for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) across multiple drug development programs.
As cancer research increasingly focuses on enabling the evolution of precision medicine—targeted therapies instead of “one-size-fits-all” drugs—NGS has the potential to enable the testing of multiple genes simultaneously from a single sample to help identify their unique genetic profile. This information can then be used to guide the appropriate therapy choice among multiple drug candidates.
Alessandro Riva, MD, global head of oncology development and medical affairs at Novartis Oncology, said the agreement and the future potential of NGS could further enhance the ability to connect patients to the right clinical trials and treatments. “It is our hope that we will be able to take advantage of this new technology as part of our growing lung cancer portfolio to offer even better outcomes for patients,” he said.
With products available in more than 180 countries around the world, Basel, Switzerland-headquartered Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in innovative medicines, eye care and cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals.
The Kaye Scholer team for this transaction was led by Corporate counsel Aaron Gardner with assistance from associate Marisa Silver.
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Advises Celestica in Asset Acquisition from Karel Manufacturing December 9, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles