Kaye Scholer represented the City of Los Angeles as lead trial counsel and advised the City in connection to a $250 million settlement approved on December 16 by the Los Angeles City Council to return Ontario International Airport to Inland control, ending an ongoing battle regarding the airport’s operation.
The law suit had been brought forward by the City of Ontario in 2013, seeking the return of Ontario International Airport from the City, contending that the transfer of the airport in 1985 had been unlawful. Ontario also sought $3.69 billion in damages to itself and to the economy of the City.
Trial of the case was set for August 17, 2015 in Riverside County Superior Court. A settlement in principle was reached shortly before the trial was set to commence, and it required several months to draft and negotiate the more than 100 page definitive settlement agreement.
Under the settlement and upon approval by the Federal Aviation Administration, Ontario International Airport will be transferred to a newly-created Ontario International Airport Authority. In return, Los Angeles would receive consideration totaling $262 million. After extensive negotiations, substantial employment protections were included in the agreement for City employees and City contractor employees.
The trial and the Kaye Scholer settlement team were led by Litigation partner Steven S. Rosenthal, and included partners Rhonda Trotter and Marc Cohen, associates Tracy Belton, Stephanie Fier, Oscar Ramallo, William Li, Melissa Raggi, attorneys Chris Gravell and Todd Wilson, and legal assistants Lisa Mammone, Ise Tiapula, Calvin Ketchum and John Reklaitis.
Also of Interest
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions