Kaye Scholer represented the City of Los Angeles as lead trial counsel and advised the City in connection to a $250 million settlement approved on December 16 by the Los Angeles City Council to return Ontario International Airport to Inland control, ending an ongoing battle regarding the airport’s operation.
The law suit had been brought forward by the City of Ontario in 2013, seeking the return of Ontario International Airport from the City, contending that the transfer of the airport in 1985 had been unlawful. Ontario also sought $3.69 billion in damages to itself and to the economy of the City.
Trial of the case was set for August 17, 2015 in Riverside County Superior Court. A settlement in principle was reached shortly before the trial was set to commence, and it required several months to draft and negotiate the more than 100 page definitive settlement agreement.
Under the settlement and upon approval by the Federal Aviation Administration, Ontario International Airport will be transferred to a newly-created Ontario International Airport Authority. In return, Los Angeles would receive consideration totaling $262 million. After extensive negotiations, substantial employment protections were included in the agreement for City employees and City contractor employees.
The trial and the Kaye Scholer settlement team were led by Litigation partner Steven S. Rosenthal, and included partners Rhonda Trotter and Marc Cohen, associates Tracy Belton, Stephanie Fier, Oscar Ramallo, William Li, Melissa Raggi, attorneys Chris Gravell and Todd Wilson, and legal assistants Lisa Mammone, Ise Tiapula, Calvin Ketchum and John Reklaitis.
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Advises Celestica in Asset Acquisition from Karel Manufacturing December 9, 2016 • Client Successes
- London Featured in Private Funds Management on Limiting Termination-Based Lawsuits December 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions