Kaye Scholer recently provided pro bono legal representation to ACCION International in connection with its investment in UGAFODE Microfinance Limited, one of the fastest growing microfinance institutions in Uganda. ACCION will be investing approximately UGX 4.8 billion (US $1.4 million) into UGAFODE and will focus on developing and expanding its digital financial services—notably agent banking—and mobile money services that are tailored to support farmers, businesses, and communities excluded from Uganda’s formal economy.
ACCION is a not-for-profit corporation that focuses on investing in, and providing support services to, microfinance institutions throughout the world. Since 1961, ACCION has been dedicated to building a financially inclusive world—one in which each person, regardless of economic status, can capitalize on his or her own capability and achieve real economic gains.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring associates Michael Greenblatt and Samantha Braunstein led the effort, with the assistance of Investment Management partner Stephen Culhane. Greenblatt had built a relationship with ACCION while at his prior firm an, together with Bankruptcy & Restructuring partner Stephen Rutenberg, introduced them to Kaye Scholer.
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts