Kaye Scholer recently provided pro bono legal representation to ACCION International in connection with its investment in UGAFODE Microfinance Limited, one of the fastest growing microfinance institutions in Uganda. ACCION will be investing approximately UGX 4.8 billion (US $1.4 million) into UGAFODE and will focus on developing and expanding its digital financial services—notably agent banking—and mobile money services that are tailored to support farmers, businesses, and communities excluded from Uganda’s formal economy.
ACCION is a not-for-profit corporation that focuses on investing in, and providing support services to, microfinance institutions throughout the world. Since 1961, ACCION has been dedicated to building a financially inclusive world—one in which each person, regardless of economic status, can capitalize on his or her own capability and achieve real economic gains.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring associates Michael Greenblatt and Samantha Braunstein led the effort, with the assistance of Investment Management partner Stephen Culhane. Greenblatt had built a relationship with ACCION while at his prior firm an, together with Bankruptcy & Restructuring partner Stephen Rutenberg, introduced them to Kaye Scholer.
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Advises Celestica in Asset Acquisition from Karel Manufacturing December 9, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles