Kaye Scholer Achieves Complete Victory for Spirit AeroSystems in Securities Class Action Appeal
Kaye Scholer obtained a significant appellate victory on behalf of longtime client Spirit AeroSystems Holdings in a securities class action against the company and four of its current and former executives. Spirit is one of the world's largest non-OEM designers and manufacturers of aerostructures for commercial aircraft.
On July 5, 2016, the Tenth Circuit affirmed Kansas federal judge Eric Melgren’s dismissal of plaintiffs’ securities class action complaint with prejudice, resulting in a complete dismissal and victory for Spirit. The panel agreed with the district court and Kaye Scholer that plaintiffs failed to adequately plead scienter in their complaint alleging that Spirit and its executives made false and misleading statements that artificially inflated Spirit’s stock price before the company recognized a forward loss of $590 million on certain manufacturing programs in the third quarter of 2012.
“This is a significant win for Spirit, and we are absolutely delighted by the Tenth Circuit’s decision to dismiss the complaint,” said Kaye Scholer Litigation partner Phil Geraci, who argued the appeal.
In addition to Geraci, the Kaye Scholer appellate team included Litigation partner Jeffrey Fuisz, counsel Aaron Miner and associate Jane He. The broader team representing Spirit also includes Joel Greenberg, Jonathan Green, Mark Kingsley, Jeff London, Sheryl Gittlitz, Chris Peterson, Aaron Rubinstein, David Menchel, Dave Kerschner and Alice Huling.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Airfinance Journal Names Kaye Scholer as a Top Firm August 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Delaware Court Endorses Share Tracing in Order to Deny Appraisal Claims in Dell Merger August 24, 2016 • Articles