Kaye Scholer successfully obtained dismissal of all claims brought against an investment bank client, Redwood Capital, by CeltixConnect Equity Investors.
In a lawsuit filed in New York Supreme Court, Celtix alleged that it lost its investment in Sea Fibre Networks, an Irish company that planned on constructing, owning and operating a sub-sea telecommunications cable that traverses the ocean between Ireland and Wales. Celtix claimed that Sea Fibre stole that plan, along with attendant intellectual property, from a competitor, and that the discovery of such theft then resulted in the failure of Sea Fibre’s business. Celtix claimed that Sea Fibre and its CEO fraudulently induced Celtix to invest in Sea Fibre. Celtix also asserted claims for fraud, negligent misrepresentation and negligence against Redwood, which acted as a placement agent for Sea Fibre.
On December 6, 2015, Redwood moved to dismiss Celtix’s amended complaint for failure to state claim. On July 19, 2016, Justice Shirley Werner Kornreich of the Commercial Division issued a decision granting Redwood’s motion and dismissing Celtix’s claims against Redwood in their entirety. The court agreed with Redwood that Celtix had failed to allege facts demonstrating scienter, or that Celtix had reasonably relied upon any statements made by Redwood.
The Kaye Scholer team representing Redwood included Litigation partner Aaron Rubinstein and associates Kyle Gooch and Alice Huling.
Also of Interest
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association Honors Waks November 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Chambers UK 2017 Recognizes London Partners and Aviation Finance Practice November 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- Lattanzio Receives NYSBA Pro Bono Award November 3, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions