Kaye Scholer successfully obtained dismissal of all claims brought against an investment bank client, Redwood Capital, by CeltixConnect Equity Investors.
In a lawsuit filed in New York Supreme Court, Celtix alleged that it lost its investment in Sea Fibre Networks, an Irish company that planned on constructing, owning and operating a sub-sea telecommunications cable that traverses the ocean between Ireland and Wales. Celtix claimed that Sea Fibre stole that plan, along with attendant intellectual property, from a competitor, and that the discovery of such theft then resulted in the failure of Sea Fibre’s business. Celtix claimed that Sea Fibre and its CEO fraudulently induced Celtix to invest in Sea Fibre. Celtix also asserted claims for fraud, negligent misrepresentation and negligence against Redwood, which acted as a placement agent for Sea Fibre.
On December 6, 2015, Redwood moved to dismiss Celtix’s amended complaint for failure to state claim. On July 19, 2016, Justice Shirley Werner Kornreich of the Commercial Division issued a decision granting Redwood’s motion and dismissing Celtix’s claims against Redwood in their entirety. The court agreed with Redwood that Celtix had failed to allege facts demonstrating scienter, or that Celtix had reasonably relied upon any statements made by Redwood.
The Kaye Scholer team representing Redwood included Litigation partner Aaron Rubinstein and associates Kyle Gooch and Alice Huling.
Also of Interest
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes