New York-based summer associates Sam Feldman, Tyler Fink, Rob Fuchs, Megan Melbourne and Michael Sapiro successfully obtained name changes for their transgender clients, who were referred by the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund's (TLDEF) Name Change Project.
For many transgender people, a legal name change is a first step toward conforming their legal identities to the way they identify and live their lives. But securing a legal name change can be an intimidating experience, involving interaction with the court system and judges. We assist clients referred by TLDEF who are seeking a legal name change in preparing and presenting their applications, and in navigating the system generally.
"The hearing was quick and easy. The court granted the order and waived our client's fees and publication requirement," Feldman said. "[Our client] was thrilled to get the order. We met our goal of changing his name before his birthday!"
The summer associates were supervised by New York-based associates Zach Ainsztein, Paul Andrews, Ada Anon, Ricardo Doriott, Jane He, Kara Neaton, Maria Reda and Danielle Rosato, as well as by New York-based partners Ben Mintz and Derek Stoldt.
New York-based summer associates Jessie Gong, Sarah Prather and Andrew Tepper are also assisting clients seeking name changes.
To date, Kaye Scholer has assisted with almost 40 name changes; the project is managed by New York-based associates Paul Andrews and Katy Benitez.
Also of Interest
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Golodner Quoted in IFLR on Proposed NYS Digital Security Laws November 29, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles