NEW YORK – Kaye Scholer announced today that Michael A. Smith will join the firm’s New York office as a Partner in the Corporate & Finance Department. Smith joins from Reed Smith’s New York office, where he was also a Partner.
“Michael’s addition to the firm is the latest in an effort to bring in top talent across practice areas at our firm,” said Barry Willner, Co-Managing Partner at Kaye Scholer. “With his impressive background and experience in cross-border transactions, Michael will be an asset to many of our clients.”
Smith regularly advises U.S. and foreign entities on U.S. securities and corporate law in connection with international financings, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and un-registered fund formation. He counsels issuers and underwriters in both public and private equity and debt offerings, including high-yield debt, sovereign debt, structured products, Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings, and offerings under the Canada-U.S. Multijurisdictional Disclosure System. Smith also regularly advises boards of directors and senior management on U.S. corporate governance matters.
“Michael‘s extensive experience will be a complement to the platform of our Corporate Practice, especially when working on international matters,” said Kaye Scholer’s Co-Managing Partner Michael Solow. “We look forward to welcoming him to the firm.”
Smith counsels clients in numerous industries and has significant experience in the oil and gas, mining, financial services, biotech, and pharmaceutical industries. He has advised on international transactions arising out of, or going into, Canada and Western Europe, as well as the emerging markets of the Caribbean and Latin America, Central Asia, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Eastern Europe. He has practiced law with leading international law firms in Toronto, New York and London, and is admitted to practice law in New York, England and Wales, and Ontario.
“Kaye Scholer has been diligent in growing its international reach, which gives the firm a real foothold in dealing with today’s recovering global economy,” said Smith. “I look forward to working alongside this talented group of lawyers.”
Early in his career, Smith was seconded to the Corporate Finance Department and the general counsel's office of the Ontario Securities Commission in Toronto. He also spent several years practicing in London, where he advised on international equity offerings, emerging market privatizations, Euro debt issues, structured financings, Eurobond repackagings, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
Smith earned his L.L.B. from Queens University in Ontario and his B.A. from Trinity College (University of Toronto).
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Axford and Williams Discuss UK Influence on EU Banking Rules in Law360 September 21, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes