New York: Stephen Culhane has joined Kaye Scholer’s Corporate Department as a Partner in its Fund Formation practice. He has almost 20 years experience advising sponsors of private equity, real estate, special situation and distressed investment funds, hedge funds and funds of funds with the structuring, formation and operation of such fund products. Over the course of his career, he has advised clients with respect to the formation of countless funds organized to invest in private equity, real estate and diverse trading strategies, including the largest private equity fund formed to date to invest in the People’s Republic of China. In addition to his fund formation experience, Culhane has extensive experience representing institutional investors in private funds as well as buyers and sellers of secondary interests in private equity portfolios.
“Kaye Scholer is a leader in the area of Private Equity and has a very fine Fund Formation practice, particularly in Los Angeles and London, where we recently were ranked second among legal service providers by readers of the Hedge Funds Review. Stephen’s strong background in Fund Formation enhances our offerings in this area in New York and throughout our network,” said Kaye Scholer Managing Partner Mike Solow. “We are delighted to welcome a partner of Stephen Culhane’s caliber and experience to the Firm.”
Culhane joins Kaye Scholer from Linklaters where he served as a leader of their Hedge Fund sector team. He also spent eight years at Goldman, Sachs & Co., where he served as Vice President, Associate General Counsel and Legal Director to Goldman Sachs Asset Management’s Private Equity Group, one of the world’s largest private equity fund of funds sponsors. In addition to his work for fund sponsors and institutional investors, he represents investment management firms, institutional investors, broker dealers and other financial institutions with respect to a broad range of Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, Securities Act, Commodity Exchange Act and ERISA matters.
Ranked by Chambers USA and Chambers Global for Fund Formation, he is also recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Legal 500, The International Who’s Who of Private Funds Lawyers and the Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers. Culhane holds a JD from New York University School of Law, received a Masters in Philosophy from the University of Oxford and a BA from Princeton University.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters