Kaye Scholer's Fred Marcusa Named "Chevalier" (Knight) of French Legion of Honor By Decree of French President Hollande
NEW YORK--Fred H. Marcusa, a Corporate Partner in Kaye Scholer’s New York office, has recently been named “Chevalier” (Knight) of the French Legion of Honor, France’s highest award, by decree of French President Francois Hollande. He received the award in recognition of his “merits and accomplishments in fostering the economic relationship between France and the United States,” particularly, as French Ambassador to the United States François Delattre noted, for Marcusa’s efforts to “help French companies invest and grow in the United States."
Established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802, this decoration is the highest in France. Among Americans to receive it are President Eisenhower, General Petraeus, Alan Greenspan, Felix Rohatyn, Julia Child, Sully Sullenberger and Miles Davis.
Over the years, Marcusa has counseled senior executives of numerous international companies on cross border commerce, working with the Government of France and various major French state-owned, public and private entities on strategic alliances, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions. He has also had extensive involvement in complex and sensitive international negotiations and investigations.
“I am proud to receive this recognition from France and to work with many of its extraordinary industrial leaders," said Marcusa. "I have as well come to love and appreciate the French people on many levels, and admire particularly their artful balance, in business and personally, of passion and aesthetics with refined intellects.
“I believe that the ability to appreciate and move easily between different styles and cultures is enormously important for anyone involved in international business, or any other activity requiring cultural translation—it is a trait that I have worked hard to develop, and has served me, and my clients, very well,” Marcusa added.
Philippe Camus, Chair, Alcatel Lucent and former CEO of Airbus Group, presented Marcusa with the Legion of Honor Chevalier Medal at a ceremony at the Salons France Ameriques in Paris.
A concert flutist who has played several solo recitals at Carnegie Recital Hall, Marcusa ended the ceremony by playing on the flute a short French piece by Philippe Gaubert, whose 96-year-old granddaughter was present. Click HERE to view a video of Mr. Camus’ speech, Marcusa's remarks in French and English, and Marcusa's flute performance.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Advises Celestica in Asset Acquisition from Karel Manufacturing December 9, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes