As appeared in Law360
Law360’s editors describe the creative litigation strategies employed by the Kaye Scholer team in the recent Pfizer v. Teva Pharmaceuticals victory – among which was the decision to have a biologist and chemist translate the story of the drug’s genesis into lay terms.
According to Kaye Scholer partner Dan DiNapoli, one of the lead attorneys in the case, along with partner Aaron Stiefel, “Getting to see some of the witnesses testify in those other proceedings, and getting an idea of what they were capable of, helped us make some decisions about how we wanted to proceed with our case.”
On the stand, the biologist explained that Pfizer scientists first realized Viagra might be able to treat ED orally when the volunteers in a Phase 1 study began to experience spontaneous erections. This testimony aided in the defense of Pfizer’s method-of-use patent from Teva’s obviousness challenge.
“[I]t was an enormous change in direction, and we certainly told that story through the inventor,” Stiefel said, referring to this “serendipitous event in the clinical trial.”
The amount of information, in part from earlier disputes and related litigation, surrounding the drug posed particular challenges for the legal team.
Stiefel added, “When you come to a case and nobody’s done anything about it before, you … can develop the case as you see fit. Here it was anything but a blank slate. There had been so much said before and done before that we had to be very cognizant of that.”
Also of Interest
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Delaware Court Endorses Share Tracing in Order to Deny Appraisal Claims in Dell Merger August 24, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fritz Authors Multiple Sections of MASIG Law Manual August 11, 2016 • Articles
- Three Partners Named to Benchmark Litigation’s Inaugural “Under 40 Hot List” August 11, 2016 • Recognitions