As appeared in Compliance Week
Because of a lack of deadlines in the Dodd-Frank Act, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has delayed rulemaking on newly required compensation disclosures. However, the SEC indicates we can expect the new rules sometime soon.
According to Kaye Scholer Corporate Partner Jeff London, “I think everybody does expect the SEC to promulgate the rules. The questions we have are when and how these rules will come out. The timing is important as companies have to make changes administratively when implementing the rules.”
London also addressed the issue of existing compensation contracts that do not have the new clawback provisions built into the terms. “Some of our clients are already incorporating general clawback clauses in their employment agreements or compensation plans,” he explained. “If you have not done so, you can ask existing executives to sign off on the amendment to include the provision in individual employment agreements.”
He also opined that many companies are already using performance metrics in designing their performance based compensation programs, typically including a group of performance indicators to determine executive compensation.
Jeff London observed that among his clients, the larger companies do seem to be more prepared for the upcoming regulations, and have started to seek guidance on the upcoming requirements. “Unfortunately, smaller companies do not have the manpower,” he concluded.
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters