Partner Yingxi Fu-Tomlinson Discusses Recent Private Equity Court Rulings in Asian Venture Capital Journal
As seen in Asian Venture Capital Journal’s “Chinese Courts Threaten PE Protection”
Asian Venture Capital Journal recently wrote on a significant Chinese court ruling that questioned the amount of down-side protection afforded to private equity funds. The specific case at hand concerned private equity firm Suzhou Industrial Park Haifu Investment, which sued its portfolio company Gansu Shiheng after it failed to meet net profit guarantees. The court dismissed the claim and did not grant the compensation the plaintiff sought, declaring the net profit provision invalid. This ruling places China even further behind in getting its investor protection practices up to speed with its growing capital markets. Many such customs utilized internationally to protect investors, including issuance of preferred shares and ratchet clauses, are not allowed in China.
So how does one provide such protection in China? “In China, investors would have to look for protection through a contractual agreement with founders and other shareholders. However from an enforcement perspective, a shareholder agreement and a statutorily provided structure are somewhat different species.” said Kaye Scholer Partner Yingxi-Fu Tomlinson, a corporate attorney based in Shanghai.
Also of Interest
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- Pitfalls of Present-Day Contracts: Hyperlinked Contract Terms November 7, 2016 • Articles