Stephen Culhane and Jonathan Green Discuss Regulation of Alternative Funds in The Wall Street Journal
As seen in The Wall Street Journal’s “SEC Looking at How Alternative Funds Value Investments”
The Wall Street Journal reports that regulators have been scrutinizing the valuation methods of alternative investment funds, such as hedge funds, when it comes to their most illiquid assets. According to the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s rules, there are three levels for measuring assets’ value. The first level consists of assets that are simplest to value, including listed stock and bonds, while the third level covers more illiquid assets where there is no observable market pricing.
According to Kaye Scholer Investment Funds Partner Stephen Culhane, the aim with an illiquid asset is to figure out "what would it get in a sale between a willing buyer and a willing seller." Determining this amount can involve substantial judgment and be "susceptible to abuse,” he said.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has been investigating such abuse, focusing on the overvaluation of assets that can occur when these funds are being marketed to investors. Kaye Scholer White-Collar Litigation & Internal Investigations Partner Jonathan Green noted, “Because in some cases it's difficult to prove whether a valuation is accurate or fair, the SEC has tended to pursue allegations that an adviser isn't adhering to stated valuation practices.”
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters