Stephen Culhane and Jonathan Green Discuss Regulation of Alternative Funds in The Wall Street Journal
As seen in The Wall Street Journal’s “SEC Looking at How Alternative Funds Value Investments”
The Wall Street Journal reports that regulators have been scrutinizing the valuation methods of alternative investment funds, such as hedge funds, when it comes to their most illiquid assets. According to the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s rules, there are three levels for measuring assets’ value. The first level consists of assets that are simplest to value, including listed stock and bonds, while the third level covers more illiquid assets where there is no observable market pricing.
According to Kaye Scholer Investment Funds Partner Stephen Culhane, the aim with an illiquid asset is to figure out "what would it get in a sale between a willing buyer and a willing seller." Determining this amount can involve substantial judgment and be "susceptible to abuse,” he said.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has been investigating such abuse, focusing on the overvaluation of assets that can occur when these funds are being marketed to investors. Kaye Scholer White-Collar Litigation & Internal Investigations Partner Jonathan Green noted, “Because in some cases it's difficult to prove whether a valuation is accurate or fair, the SEC has tended to pursue allegations that an adviser isn't adhering to stated valuation practices.”
Also of Interest
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- GIR 100 Names Kaye Scholer a World Leader in Cross-Border Investigations October 10, 2016 • Recognitions
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles