Philip Giordano Discusses Possibility of Worldwide Cartel Investigation into Electronic Capacitor Companies in Policy & Regulatory Report
As seen in Policy & Regulatory Report’s “Capacitor Cartel Probe Heats Up on US Civil, Criminal Sides”
Policy & Regulatory Report says that antitrust enforcement agencies around the world, including the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and Japan’s Fair Trade Commission, may be working together on a probe into cartel activity among companies that make electronic capacitors – cheap and electronic components used in a majority of electronic products.
According to Kaye Scholer Antitrust Counsel Philip Giordano, a former prosecutor in the DOJ’s Antitrust Division, the activities of regulators, such as the recent raid of electronic capacitor manufacturers in Japan, show “the hallmarks of a major international cartel investigation.” Giordano added, “The DOJ and its foreign counterparts are conducting parallel investigations. Many of the manufacturers under investigation are international conglomerates that sell into global markets.”
Giordano noted that the investigation could result in individual and company indictments, as well as hefty fines, although these may be mitigated by the low cost of capacitors. This search could possibly lead to an expanded probe into other passive electronic components, he said.
Also of Interest
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Handelsblatt Rechtsboard Publishes Steger’s Article on German Competition... July 25, 2016 • Articles
- Are You Acquiring Voting Securities with Investment Intent? It Depends on Who’s Asking July 22, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Three Kaye Scholer Partners Named Among Benchmark Litigation’s Top 250 Women... June 29, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Practices and Attorneys Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 May 31, 2016 • Recognitions
- Morgenstern & Antitrust Practice Profiled in GCR's “New York’s Competition Bar” April 21, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Steger Discusses Abuse of Dominance and Big Data in Handelsblatt April 5, 2016 • Articles