Stephen Culhane Offers Insights on CalPERS’ Increased Investment in Commercial Real Estate in Globe St.
As seen in Globe St.’s “7 Reasons Why CalPERS May Have Increased Its Exposure to Real Estate”
Globe St. reports that the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) will be terminating its allocation to hedge funds, instead choosing to increase its allocation to other asset classes, including, in particular, commercial real estate. Because CalPERS is a large and significant fund, this change in strategy has been viewed as a noteworthy, with many in the investment management sector analyzing the factors that may have influenced CalPERS’ decision to diversify.
According to Kaye Scholer Partner Stephen Culhane, Head of the firm’s investment Management Practice, “It was real estate's turn.” He continued, “Institutional investors are always assessing and reassessing their allocations. Commercial real estate valuations are strong and [real estate] is perceived as a safe haven, particularly for non-US and long-term investors."
Culhane also pointed out that commercial real estate can be a better match for a fund like CalPERS, which has long term actuarial funding obligations that can make long-term assets like real estate more appealing than shorter duration investments like hedge funds.
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles