As seen in Daily Journal’s “Lawyers Say Effect of Inversion Regulations Will be Limited”
Daily Journal reports that the US Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service recently issued new regulations designed to curb corporate inversions. These tax-code changes have been enacted in order to make it more difficult for US companies to access cash stored overseas while paying little or no taxes on it.
Many feel that these rules are unlikely to prevent companies considering inversion from pursuing it as an option. According to Kaye Scholer Corporate Partner Nicholas O’Keefe, “for issuers who are keen to do an inversion, they will continue to look to the possibility of doing one.”
O’Keefe noted that the new rules may discourage companies “really on the fence” about inverting, adding that “It can make the decision not to go forward a little easier.” However, he also pointed out that these rules are only one of many factors to consider, and expressed skepticism that the new regulations would have a substantial impact on any pending deals.
“I would be surprised if there were many deals that wouldn’t make sense at all in light of what has come out,” O’Keefe continued, concluding, “Normally, I think the rule of thumb is, ‘Don’t do an inversion unless the merger independently [of the inversion] makes reasonable sense.”
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles