As seen in Inc.’s “Why 'How' Is So Important to Chobani, and How It Could Be Wrong”
Inc. reports that yogurt company Chobani is engaged in a legal battle with author Dov Seidman over Seidman’s trademark for the word “How.” Seidman, who has authored numerous books that prominently feature the word “how” in their titles, recently sued Chobani for launching an ad campaign called “How Matters,” after Chobani acknowledged via social media that Seidman had used similar concepts previously. Chobani retaliated by applying to trademark the phrase “How Matters” and requesting that a judge cancel Seidman’s trademark.
In order to avoid landing in a similar situation as a business owner, Kaye Scholer Partner Paul Llewellyn, Head of the firm’s Trademark, Copyright & False Advertising practice, recommends that you ask a lawyer to order and review a trademark clearance prior to adopting a trademark or any related slogans or phrases pertaining to it. This will assist you in identifying any possible pre-existing rights that could result in litigation. According to Llewellyn, that includes both federal and common law uses of marks and phrases, as well as any pending applications.
Also of Interest
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Complete Motion to Dismiss for Redwood Capital July 22, 2016 • Client Successes
- NISPOM’s New Insider Threat Program Is an Opportunity to Establish Competitive Edge July 13, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Represents NexPhase Capital in Acquisition of Zing Zang July 7, 2016 • Client Successes