As seen in Inc.’s “Why 'How' Is So Important to Chobani, and How It Could Be Wrong”
Inc. reports that yogurt company Chobani is engaged in a legal battle with author Dov Seidman over Seidman’s trademark for the word “How.” Seidman, who has authored numerous books that prominently feature the word “how” in their titles, recently sued Chobani for launching an ad campaign called “How Matters,” after Chobani acknowledged via social media that Seidman had used similar concepts previously. Chobani retaliated by applying to trademark the phrase “How Matters” and requesting that a judge cancel Seidman’s trademark.
In order to avoid landing in a similar situation as a business owner, Kaye Scholer Partner Paul Llewellyn, Head of the firm’s Trademark, Copyright & False Advertising practice, recommends that you ask a lawyer to order and review a trademark clearance prior to adopting a trademark or any related slogans or phrases pertaining to it. This will assist you in identifying any possible pre-existing rights that could result in litigation. According to Llewellyn, that includes both federal and common law uses of marks and phrases, as well as any pending applications.
Also of Interest
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles