As seen in Law360’s “Cardinal Case Shines Light On FTC's Disgorgement Plans”
Law360 reported on Cardinal Health Inc.’s settlement to resolve the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) claim that it illegally monopolized the sale of low-energy radiopharmaceuticals to health care providers in 25 areas. Cardinal must now open up markets in several cities it still dominates as well as return millions of dollars in what the FTC says were ill-gotten profits in the committee’s second-highest disgorgement remedy ever.
DC-based Partner, Claudia Higgins, weighed in on the FTC’s decisions to pursue disgorgement. "In antitrust matters, it can be quite difficult to determine whether the FTC may seek disgorgement in any particular circumstance because each new case will bring its own unique factual underpinnings. With today’s settlement and the pay-for-delay disgorgement matters as examples, however, an experienced antitrust defense counsel should be able to gauge the risk that a client might face to some degree."
On whether additional disgorgement guidance from the commission would be helpful, Higgins said, “If the FTC were to publish guidelines...defense counsel would be able to enhance significantly the reliability and clarity of their answers, which would greatly assist clients as they plan their business conduct.”
Also of Interest
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles