Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360 on the California Supreme Court’s Precedent Setting Plavix Ruling
Aton Arbisser, head of Kaye Scholer’s Los Angeles Litigation department, spoke to both The Recorder and Law360 regarding the California Supreme Court’s recent ruling that both local and out-of-state residents can sue drugmaker Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. in California state courts over claims that the blood thinning medication Plavix, seriously harmed or killed patients.
"It's a multidimensional chess match, and this is defining the chess board and making sure California is still a place where plaintiffs' lawyers can at least consider filing a mass tort," Arbisser said to The Recorder in “Calif. Justices, in Split Decision, Clear Path for Mass Torts.”
The split ruling opens the door to nationwide product liability cases in California post SCOTUS’ ruling three years ago, which placed new restrictions on when courts may declare jurisdiction over a company that is headquartered outside of the state.
In Law360’s feature piece on the ruling, “Plavix Ruling Cements Calif. As Center for Mass Torts,” Arbisser stated, “This ruling is an effort to make clear that drawing in the bounds of general jurisdiction isn’t going to get the nonresidents out [of the case].”
Also of Interest
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles
- Delaware Court Endorses Share Tracing in Order to Deny Appraisal Claims in Dell Merger August 24, 2016 • Articles