Kaye Scholer was honored on October 23, 2007 as one of the recipients of The Legal Aid Society's 2007 Pro Bono
Awards for outstanding service to The Legal Aid Society and its
clients. The firm is being recognized for its many years of successful pro bono
representation at administrative hearings by dozens of our lawyers, who
have successfully obtained Federal Supplemental Security Income awards
for Legal Aid's clients with disabilities.
For more than ten years, Kaye Scholer has represented physically and/or mentally disabled children and adults in administrative hearings before the Social Security Administration and in appeals of unfavorable decisions in federal court. Acting as advocates for their clients, our lawyers analyze case files and medical records, interview and prepare clients for direct testimony, prepare prehearing briefs and represent clients in hearings before an administrative law judge, often involving the cross-examination of medical and vocation experts.
Kaye Scholer has designed a system whereby each case is staffed by two associates, including summer associates, and supervised by a senior associate and a partner mentor. In the summer of 2007, fifteen summer associates, under the supervision of more senior attorneys, represented eight clients seeking disability benefits. Kaye Scholer represented clients ranging from a 7-year-old child suffering from mental retardation, behavioral disorders and physical impairments, to a 51-year-old woman suffering from mental and physical disabilities, in administrative hearings throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens.
Also of Interest
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions
- Jungermann and Steger Counsel Water Integrity Network on Libel Law March 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Ninth Circuit’s En Banc Decision in Wolfson Validates Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts... February 3, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts Help Preserve Kansas’ Independent Judiciary January 4, 2016 • Client Successes