On August 3 2009, the Holocaust Survivors Justice Network ("HSJN") was given an ABA Pro Bono Publico Award during the ABA Annual Meeting in Chicago. The Pro Bono Publico Award is presented each year by the ABA Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service to honor those in the legal profession who have enhanced the human dignity of others by improving or delivering volunteer legal services to the poor. Kaye Scholer is one of many firms participating in HSJN's Holocaust Reparations Project, helping survivors who worked in German-controlled ghettos to apply for payment from the German government under a program that was announced by Chancellor Angela Merkel in October 2007.
HSJN has been called "the largest coordinated pro bono effort in United States history." Never before has such a large group of legal professionals (2,600 lawyers) come together to coordinate such a seamless effort to reach individuals in need across the nation. Because of the use of technology and strong coordination among partners, HSJN has been able to reach an unprecedented number of survivors (2,000) in a short period of time. In addition, thanks to extensive outreach efforts, HSJN has been able to identify survivors who were previously unknown to social service agencies or local survivor groups.
Also of Interest
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions