Six Kaye Scholer lawyers were honored at the 2014 Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Publico Awards for providing outstanding pro bono service to The Legal Aid Society and its clients. The awards were presented by The Honorable Jonathan Lippman, Chief Judge of the State of New York, at a ceremony on October 8, 2014.
Partner Jay Mayesh, Special Counsel James Catterson, Counsel Bert Slonim, and Associate Danelco Moxey were recognized for their work on the Criminal Conviction Sealing Project. They filed motions pursuant to the 2009 Drug Law Reform Act on behalf of several Legal Aid clients who had completed their criminal sentences and also successfully completed judicially-mandated drug treatment programs. The conditional sealing relief obtained for these clients has assisted them with employment, housing, and credit by removing the stigma of old narcotics convictions. According to The Legal Aid Society, “Sealing of the conviction record provides these individuals with a second chance to lead economically independent lives and make meaningful contributions to society and their communities.”
Associates Tanya Blocker and Peta Gordon were honored for their work, with Legal Aid as co-counsel, representing a client in a federal wage and hour lawsuit that raised issues of alleged employer bias. Manvin Mayell served as supervising partner on the matter.
In addition to these individual honors, Kaye Scholer was included on the 2014 Honor Roll of Sustaining Law Firms, which recognizes firms for their sustained commitment to providing pro bono assistance to both The Legal Aid Society and its clients.
The Legal Aid Society is the oldest and largest not-for-profit legal services organization in the nation, dedicated to providing low-income New Yorkers with quality legal representation. The annual Pro Bono Publico Awards recognize outstanding contributions made by lawyers and law firms that partner with The Legal Aid Society to further the cause of equal access to justice for all New Yorkers.
Also of Interest
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions